cram raspbian not using full sd card

Samuel Burt

Dec 10, 2015, 7:46:44 PM12/10/15
to Satellite CCRMA
Thank you to all who have put together crrma's raspberry pi os.

I have a 32 GB sd card that is giving me trouble. I successfully got it up and running, but ran into a problem (unrelated to this post) with a black screen that still let me log in. While running an apt-get update, my sd card popped out from my raspberry's broken sd card slot. I was going to try fsck from my mac when I noticed this massive Untitled partition on my raspberry sd card. I realized the RECOVERY and boot partitions were really small.

This is when I decided to start over and reinstalled. Now, the RECOVERY partition is 861.8 MB and the boot is 62.9 MB. I have a massive 6.75 GB Untitled partition. Is this normal? Did something go wrong? This is a 32 GB card!

I'm something of a neophyte with some linux experience 15 years ago and frequent terminal use in OS X, but there's still a great deal to learn.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,
Sam

Edgar Berdahl

Dec 11, 2015, 7:13:30 AM12/11/15
to satelli...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I think that if you run
sudo raspi-config
it will give you an option for expanding the partitions. It should take care of the details.

Best,
Edgar

Samuel Burt

Dec 11, 2015, 2:29:57 PM12/11/15
to Satellite CCRMA
Thanks for the reply. I just tried the resize option in raspi-config, but, just like this guy, I got an error. "Your partition layout is not currently supported by this tool. You are probably using NOOBS, in which case your root filesystem is already expanded anyway."

When I print the partition table with fdisk, it shows that my entire disk is 32.0 GB, but there are only five relatively small devices on it.

Can I add a partition with fdisk and migrate some of the larger directories there?

I'm going to keep searching for solutions. Thanks to anyone who might have some experience here and is willing to comment.

Edgar

Dec 14, 2015, 9:37:31 AM12/14/15
to Satellite CCRMA
Hmmm that's annoying. Recently they have been using a rather complex set of partitions.

You might try this:  http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2012/06/resize-sd-card-partitions/

But in general beware that when you are resizing partitions, it is possible to erase everything, and I've noticed that sometimes gparted fails (destroying a partition) even if it seems like everything is in order.

—Edgar

Samuel Burt

Dec 14, 2015, 9:51:47 AM12/14/15
to Satellite CCRMA

Thanks, I will try that. Since I flashed the card, again, I don't mind losing anything. I just need to make a checklist for all the things I have to do on a fresh install (like set up interfaces).

Sam

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Satellite CCRMA" group.

Alessandro Altavilla

Nov 3, 2016, 9:38:47 AM11/3/16
to Satellite CCRMA
Hi Samuel,

Did Gparted work?

Alessandro

Samuel Burt

Nov 3, 2016, 11:10:25 AM11/3/16
to Satellite CCRMA
Alessandro,

Thanks for following up! I'm afraid to say I wound up installing vanilla Raspbian which has given me decent performance with little tweaking. Maybe, I'll try CCRMA's Raspbian again someday, but right now I have two working Pis happily running.

Sam

Alessandro Altavilla

Nov 3, 2016, 11:15:23 AM11/3/16
to satelli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sam,

Thanks for answering!

Just a curiosity as you mentioned it. Are you running a low latency kernel with Raspabian and running the pies in headless mode?

Thanks
Ale

Alessandro

Samuel Burt

Nov 3, 2016, 12:40:01 PM11/3/16
to satelli...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure what headless mode is, and I didn't modify the kernal. I believe I updated Raspbian to the latest version when it came out in September and the latency has been reasonable for me. It's only when I throw heavy fft stuff at it where it can't keep up. Increasing latency only helps so much.

Alessandro Altavilla

Nov 3, 2016, 12:44:31 PM11/3/16
to satelli...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sam,

Headless mode means running it without a screen (and eventually keyboard, mouse too).

Ale

zimtzeke

Jun 24, 2017, 6:49:04 PM6/24/17
to Satellite CCRMA
hi sam,

i wrote a post on that. i had the same issue that raspi-config did not work. sorry, it's in austrian :-)

http://ton.zimt.at/2017/01/08/rasppi-satellite-noobs-auf-groessere-speicherkarte-uebertragen/

short version:
you take a bigger card (eg 32gb) and copy the image of your Original ('old' 16gb) card to the new one using the dd command.
then you mount the card in another linux computer or virtualbox-linux (maybe also the pi) and format the free space in ext4.
then you boot up the new card (which uses only 16gb for satellite) in your raspberry pi.
what comes next is giving read/write permissions to the 'free'-16gb for the ccrma user and mounting it eg. as ../AUDIO
permanently to your /home/ccrma - folder or your ../on-startup folder using the fstab command.
then you have 16 gb for your system+audiofiles plus 16 gb for the rest of the audiofiles :-)
for me this works and you can save 16*2 = 32 hours of 24bit@44k1 or 4 hours of 8ch-24@44k1 wavs in your ../AUDIO-partition-folder
greetings