question about sound card output

Paul Heslin

Mar 27, 2016, 4:41:45 PM3/27/16
to Satellite CCRMA
Just something I was curious about and thought I would put out there, I've noticed that the exact same pure data patch running through a griffin imic connected to my macbook puts out a signal a good 10-15db higher than coming out of the same patch/imic connected to the RPI2 - is this something adjustable within linux, or is this just a result of the raspberry pi being significantly less powered than the laptop? Also thought it worth asking how you are feeling about the future of this project, Edgar, in light of the new RPI3 release - do you think you will stick with raspberries or switch over to a different board?

All the best & thanks again for your work with this project,
Paul

Edgar J. Berdahl

Jun 21, 2016, 11:04:19 PM6/21/16
to satelli...@googlegroups.com
Check out the
alsamixer
program for adjusting the levels.

I'm personally not sure about the Raspberry Pi 3 yet. The Raspberry Pi 2 does provide a big boost though for audio DSP.

An advantage of the Raspberry Pi 3 would be doing audio with doubles instead of floats (e.g. 64-bit instead of 32-bit), but I suspect it will likely still take some time before the repositories are ready for going 64-bit on ARM. It's possible that a lot of different software packages will require a lot of updates to keep them working.

Best,
Edgar