Satellite image for RasPi 3

Greg O'Drobinak

Apr 6, 2016, 3:16:11 PM4/6/16
to Satellite CCRMA
Greetings!

Is there a Satellite CCRMA image available for the Raspberry Pi model 3?

Is it optimized for best performance on this platform?

Thanks in advance!

BTW, Edgar, have you looked at the BeagleBoard-X15 for a possible image for Satellite?
This would be quite a powerhouse, especially with the twin floating-point DSPs.
I know it is not yet available, but perhaps you could wrangle a test board out of them.   :>}

Kind regards,
Greg

Edgar J. Berdahl

Apr 7, 2016, 8:16:48 AM4/7/16
to satelli...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Right now the image only works for Raspberry Pi 2 (that I've tested). I find that it will run about eight times as many filters as the Raspberry Pi 1 generation boards.

Regarding Raspberry Pi 3, I'm not sure how much more powerful it would be yet, but I'm planning to wait before investigating possibly making an image for it anyway. I'll let you know if I do benchmark it. The last time they changed architectures, it took a very long time for the code repos to get cleaned up. The same thing is happening this time — it will be a long time before they get the 64-bit repos working well, so I don't see a good reason to remake the image right now.

In my opinion, the actual board BeagleBoard-X15 is quite large compared to some of these other boards, so I'm not likely to create an image for it ever. Also, I'm currently interested in being able to run general-purpose code rather than writing custom code for specialized hardware.

Best!
—Edgar

Greg O'Drobinak

Apr 7, 2016, 12:52:00 PM4/7/16
to Satellite CCRMA
Edgar, thanks for the info!

I can see your point about the distros, but benchmarks suggest a 50% speed boost over the Pi2, so maybe 12 times the filters available on a Pi1 may be realizable.

Couple that with the on-board WiFi & Bluetooth and you have a very nice platform that could integrate with other wireless computers/tablets, without having to spend more money for wireless connectivity. So it could be a good step forward.for Satellite.

As for the X15, I see your point about custom coding.
Also, that board may be quite expensive when it is released and I would expect the power consumption to be higher.

Kind regards,
Greg

peter nyboer

Apr 7, 2016, 12:59:04 PM4/7/16
to satelli...@googlegroups.com
I’ve been working with Next Thing Co on the CHIP computer. While the processor isn’t as powerful as the Pi, it has built-in bluetooth, wifi, decent built-in audio, comes with an OS (no fussy SD card), runs mainline linux, and is super cheap. I’d definitely be interested in learning more about kernel tweaks that improve audio performance, and see about getting a satellite distro running on this thing. I’ve been working with PD on it, and getting some good results.

Peter

Leo Keba

Jul 4, 2016, 10:21:58 AM7/4/16
to Satellite CCRMA
Hi, Greg, I managed to make an image that runs on the RPi 3 based on the last Satellite 1.05 image.

It is not fully tested, nor benchmarked, and the process was quite painful, but if you want to try it let me know, I will tell you how I did it.

Cheers

Greg O'Drobinak

Jul 8, 2016, 8:19:06 PM7/8/16
to satelli...@googlegroups.com

Hi, Leo!

I would like to try that load.
Please send me the info to obtain it.

Thanks very much!

- Greg

Edgar J. Berdahl

Jul 13, 2016, 9:37:55 PM7/13/16
to Satellite CCRMA
Which benchmarks?

Edgar J. Berdahl

Jul 13, 2016, 9:38:20 PM7/13/16
to Satellite CCRMA
I'm not planning to support that board because it is physically so large.

Leon Trimble

Sep 28, 2016, 12:07:27 PM9/28/16
to Satellite CCRMA
me two

Sindel

Apr 14, 2017, 5:31:24 PM4/14/17
to Satellite CCRMA
Hey Leo, I would like to try your version for Raspberry 3! Please send me info for obtaining it!
Thank you all for your work.

Jacob C

Jun 28, 2017, 10:45:47 PM6/28/17
to Satellite CCRMA
i'd really love to obtain an image like that myself. if i could get the info for that too it'd be much appreciated

Troy Witherow

Aug 31, 2017, 11:12:21 AM8/31/17
to Satellite CCRMA
Is there a way I could get your rpi 3 version?

Sam Roberts

Jan 24, 2018, 2:58:11 PM1/24/18
to Satellite CCRMA
Hello,
Is there any more information about this for rpi3?

Leon Trimble

Jan 24, 2018, 3:03:48 PM1/24/18
to satelli...@googlegroups.com
+1 on that. Also has anyone tried it on pi zero?

El Lobo Blanquito

Jan 25, 2018, 5:23:12 AM1/25/18
to Satellite CCRMA
Bump! : )

I agree * ^

Edgar J. Berdahl

Feb 1, 2018, 9:23:48 AM2/1/18
to Satellite CCRMA
Dear all,

Sorry for the delay in preparing the image for RPi 3. Here is the version of the image that I handed out in class yesterday for the current term--I will post it on the website after a few more days of testing it with the students.

It is quite similar to the last image except that it is built from the ground up off of a more recent version of the Raspbian image so that it works on RPi 3.

Best,
Edgar

md5 SatelliteCCRMA_Rpi_v1.06.dd.gz

is

b30b37a714f109f74d781cc4fc31b04a

0hm_Mic_0dd

Feb 14, 2019, 2:30:36 PM2/14/19
to Satellite CCRMA
I'm super excited about this, thanks! Downloading the card image now..
I was not able to get the card image for Pi 2 to work, but I was using a Pi 2 Model B so maybe it's not the correct model?
I also have a Pi 3 Model B so I'm hoping this new version will work.

Question about the uncompression process - I used 7-Zip to uncompress in the past (because for some reason the command lines will not work on Windows 10) and attempted to write the card image to a 16gb card by drag-dropping the unzipped folder contents onto the card (formatted to exFat)
I'm probably missing some very key steps in this process, but I am somewhat new to the world of Pi and could use some advice.

0hm_Mic_0dd

Feb 15, 2019, 10:56:10 AM2/15/19
to Satellite CCRMA
Update: nothing will work using Windows 10 (or any version of Windows for that matter).

I'm now using a Mac mini to build which seems to work, but I was trying to build the card image for RPi 2 on RPi 2 Model B but will that even work?

I have two Pi's: a 2 and a 3, both are Model B's. Will any of the available card images work on these or do I need to acquire new Pi's?

Dave

Feb 15, 2019, 11:17:28 AM2/15/19
to satelli...@googlegroups.com
It sounds like you are trying to just drag and drop the image to the sd card using the file manager, but that won’t work. You need to use a tool that writes the image to the sd card correctly. See the instructions for “Etcher”

0hm_Mic_0dd

Feb 15, 2019, 11:22:24 AM2/15/19
to Satellite CCRMA
No I followed the tutorial using Terminal on Mac. Here's a screenshot:

Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 10.21.41 AM.png

0hm_Mic_0dd

Feb 15, 2019, 11:26:34 AM2/15/19
to Satellite CCRMA
And here's a screenshot of the Pi 2 trying to boot up:

IMG_2143.jpg

One thing I forgot to do was unplug all USB connections while booting so I might try rebuilding the card image again and boot with nothing plugged in. Unless anyone has other ideas?

0hm_Mic_0dd

Feb 15, 2019, 1:35:17 PM2/15/19
to Satellite CCRMA
I tried a second time, this time with no peripherals connected and got the same result. It asks me for a satellite login as well (?) ..
If anyone knows the mystery answer here, I'd love to find out. Is it because this is a Pi 2 Model B and I'm using the image for Pi 2 regular?

0hm_Mic_0dd

Feb 15, 2019, 5:37:08 PM2/15/19
to Satellite CCRMA
I think it actually WAS working, just wasn't seeing the page with the login info but I found it. I was able to remote-in to the pi and access PD, Arduino, etc. I have a lot to learn, but I'm gonna check out some of the projects.
Thanks very much!!