RPI: Creating image problems: solved.

Peter Nyboer

Nov 7, 2014, 3:17:28 PM11/7/14
to satelli...@googlegroups.com
I’ve been trying to get Satellite CCRMA running on an RPI B+ and had some issues that seem worth sharing.

I created a micro sd card from a successfully downloaded image.
Checksum of the gz file is: 0683216ff579a3e4e401f800668ee16f
So the Image is totally fine.

My micro sd is an 8GB Unirex card (it’s all they had for class 4 micro sd at Frys!).

I used
diskutil list
to find the name of the SD card on my OSX Mavericks machine.
Based on that, and the documentation, I wrote the image with this command:
sudo dd if=SatelliteCCRMA_Rpi_v0.99.5.dd of=/dev/disk2s1 bs=1m

I dropped it into the Rpi, and it was solid red and green on the leds (immediately on power connection), and did not show up on the ip address 192.168.105.106, or on my Local network when I plug it into a switcher.
I erased the card, and tried a Debian Wheezy image I got from the Rpi website. That booted fine, and I was able to connect to it and do some simple updates on it and install pd. So I know the hardware and card are fine.
But I wanted Satellite! So I wiped the card clean again and tried to burn the Satellite image - same results. I hooked it up to an HDMI monitor, and there was no image (as expected, really).

When I write the image to the micro sd, I get:
7460+0 records in
7460+0 records out
7822376960 bytes transferred in 3749.899050 secs (2086023 bytes/sec)
So there was no error there.

I also tried creating 2 partitions on the SD card, thinking maybe it needed to write to a 4GB partition. No luck.

Finally, I realized that I should try writing the image to
/dev/disk2
instead of
/dev/disk2s1

I can’t say I entirely understand the difference, but one seems to be a partition (the s1) whereas the other is the physical disk.
SUCCESS!

The Raspberry Pi had a red led solid, and blinked a few greens before that turned off when I plugged it in. It showed up on the ip 192.168.105.106.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future, or motivates a note to the wiki.

Peter

Quinten De Wilde

Mar 22, 2016, 7:14:47 AM3/22/16
to Satellite CCRMA
Did you have any luck with this, I have similar results.

Only the records in and out showed when I ctrl + c the terminal.
otherwise it shows me nothing and it takes very long even for my very powerful Imac 27inch and with a 10X Kingston micro sd card.

When I put it in notting happens and I did the disk2 part correctly

Edgar J. Berdahl

Jun 21, 2016, 11:29:49 PM6/21/16
to satelli...@googlegroups.com
FYI in the future, maybe try this without bs=1m