BATTERY for SatelliteCCRMA, and to power a small 1A speaker amp.

Levy Lorenzo

Sep 30, 2015, 9:57:17 AM9/30/15
to satelli...@googlegroups.com
hi group -

has anyone found a good battery to power both the SatCCRMA and a small amp for audio?

looking to power a standalone mini system with a  single battery.

thanks!

Edgar

Sep 30, 2015, 11:20:12 AM9/30/15
to Satellite CCRMA
Hi Levy,

I personally like these:
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-2-class-t-digital-audio-amplifier-module--300-385
paired with 4 ohm speakers

You will maybe need a ground loop isolating cable like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Metra-Electronics-AGL3-5-GROUND-ISOLATE/dp/B0049MWYOK/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1443625829&sr=8-13&keywords=isolator+cable+ground+loop
(I haven't tried that one though so I can't vouch for it—the ones I ordered aren't available anymore)

I used this battery successfully:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/151773577277?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82
At least I think that's the same one. It's not available on Amazon anymore where I got it.

I never had to do this:
http://www.dorkbotpdx.org/blog/paul/battery_pack_load
but I know that depending on which battery you use, you might have to do that.

And then step down the 12V to 5V for the raspberry pi:
http://www.amazon.com/Autek-Converter-convert-adapter-DCCON-5U-0/dp/B00BMIVFK8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1443626231&sr=8-2&keywords=12v+to+5v+adapter

But there are other ways! If you don't need as much power, you can find a solution that runs off of only 5V, but there are fewer options because car audio is 12V.

This was the strategy used in:
https://nime2015.lsu.edu/proceedings/337/0337-paper.pdf

Best,
Edgar

JohnOButtons

Apr 8, 2016, 11:18:29 AM4/8/16
to Satellite CCRMA
I've used rechargable Li battery type 18650.
You could use two of them giving you 7.4 volts and regulate it down to 5.
John

Edgar J. Berdahl

Jun 21, 2016, 10:59:02 PM6/21/16
to satelli...@googlegroups.com
If you ever try this, I highly recommend using a switching-type voltage regulator. My experience with linear regulators is that they tend to get really, really hot!

Best!
—Edgar