Next steps for Satchmo

Chris Moffitt

Apr 28, 2014, 10:12:47 AM4/28/14
to satchm...@googlegroups.com
As everyone knows, it's been a while since I spent much time on Satchmo. I recently spent some time getting myself back in the swing of things and hope to start making some forward progress with Satchmo. To be clear, I still would appreciate any and all efforts to help but wanted to let folks know I'm going to start plugging away in the days/weeks/months ahead.

Since I've been out of the loop a while, the biggest thing I would like to do is get Satchmo working with Django 1.6. I have made some updates to the supporting packages and updated them in PYPI and would like to get a newer version of Satchmo out there as well.

A couple of thoughts I've had:
- Should we migrate from using PIL to Pillow? It looks like pillow is being updated more and is more installable so this seems like a straightforward suggestion but I am curious if anyone has any concerns with this approach.
- I am considering wrapping django-signals-ahoy into Satchmo. It would be one less dependency and since it is relatively simple, I don't see the harm. Any thoughts here?
- Are there any other watchouts people have after they have started using Django 1.6 with respect to Satchmo?

Finally, I'd appreciate any help with triaging bugs in bitbucket. If you have bugs or issues that are still valid, feel free to update tickets.

Please chime in with thoughts or issues. I'd love to try to get a little momentum going again.

Thanks,
Chris

Mike Hostetler

Apr 28, 2014, 10:24:08 AM4/28/14
to satchm...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 9:12 AM, Chris Moffitt <ch...@moffitts.net> wrote:
As everyone knows, it's been a while since I spent much time on Satchmo. I recently spent some time getting myself back in the swing of things and hope to start making some forward progress with Satchmo. To be clear, I still would appreciate any and all efforts to help but wanted to let folks know I'm going to start plugging away in the days/weeks/months ahead.

That's good to hear!
Since I've been out of the loop a while, the biggest thing I would like to do is get Satchmo working with Django 1.6. I have made some updates to the supporting packages and updated them in PYPI and would like to get a newer version of Satchmo out there as well.

A couple of thoughts I've had:
- Should we migrate from using PIL to Pillow? It looks like pillow is being updated more and is more installable so this seems like a straightforward suggestion but I am curious if anyone has any concerns with this approach.

+1 . I've used Pillow on a couple (non-Satchmo) projects and it's been everything I hoped PIL would be -- which is installable yet stable after installation.

- I am considering wrapping django-signals-ahoy into Satchmo. It would be one less dependency and since it is relatively simple, I don't see the harm. Any thoughts here?

That's probably a good idea, since no one has updated it since 2009. Whatever happened to Bruce anyway?

- Are there any other watchouts people have after they have started using Django 1.6 with respect to Satchmo?

Finally, I'd appreciate any help with triaging bugs in bitbucket. If you have bugs or issues that are still valid, feel free to update tickets.

Please chime in with thoughts or issues. I'd love to try to get a little momentum going again.

I have one thing that has always bugged me.... getting a Price for a Product has always been difficult. I can see the current scheme is good for T-shirt sizes, etc. But can there be a column for "base_price", etc so that people that have one price per item don't have to get another object and query the database for it? That way, they get the Product and have the Price.

Anyway, glad you are back.

Thanks,
Chris

--

Mike

Mike Hostetler
SquarePeg Systems
http://www.squarepegsystems.com

Kevin Harvey

Apr 29, 2014, 11:29:13 AM4/29/14
to satchm...@googlegroups.com
Chris, this is great news. I'll offer a +1 for Pillow. I've used it as a drop in replacement for PIL on a couple projects, but I'll have to admit to not knowing much about the guts of it.

Kevin

Daniel Purcell

Apr 29, 2014, 1:48:50 PM4/29/14
to satchm...@googlegroups.com
That's great, Chris!  I can dedicate some time to improve Satchmo if you like. We've made quite a bit of changes and enhancements ourselves in the last few months and I'd be very happy to share them with you... changes to discount codes, more shipping options, new payment processors, etc.

Chris Moffitt

Apr 29, 2014, 9:18:03 PM4/29/14
to satchm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the offers to help.

For folks that have some time, I'd appreciate it if you could take a look at the pull request Kevin has submitted to overhaul the UI. He's done a lot of work and it would be good to get some more eyes on it.

https://bitbucket.org/chris1610/satchmo/pull-requests

Daniel - I'd be happy to take a look at the changes you've made. Feel free to submit some pull requests or point me to a repo to take a look at the latest info.

-Chris

Sheridan Small

Sep 25, 2015, 4:20:25 PM9/25/15
to Satchmo users
I know this thread is over a year old but it seems appropriate to reply to it here rather than creating a new thread.
First of all I would like to say that I think Satchmo is a great project and ideal for my requirements.
However Django 1.4 is reaching the end of extended support in a few days (October 1st 2015).
Is it still true that Satchmo requires Django 1.4 an will not work with newer versions of Django?
If so, are there any plans to update Satchmo to work with newer supported versions of Django?

Chris Moffitt

Sep 25, 2015, 4:23:00 PM9/25/15
to satchm...@googlegroups.com
I recently checked in a pull request to update Satchmo for more recent versions of Django. To be honest I have not done extensive testing but I do think it will work with more recent versions of Django.

I'd love to see the project keep going and will do what I can but would like to see if anyone else has capacity to step up and give Satchmo a little boost.

-Chris