Responsive theme (deployed to Heroku)

kcharvey

Apr 3, 2014, 8:20:55 AM4/3/14
to satchmo-d...@googlegroups.com
I've been working over the last several months to build a Twitter Bootstrap-based responsive design for Satchmo. Please have a look and provide any feedback you might have:

admin u: urdmin
admin p: purssword

You can have a look at the repo here: https://bitbucket.org/kcharvey/satchmo. I can create a pull request if we like the direction this is going, and perhaps the community can continue working on this in a branch.

Chris Moffitt

Apr 3, 2014, 9:08:41 AM4/3/14
to Satchmo developers
Thanks for doing this. My initial thought is that it looks pretty good. the existing Satchmo default style is very stale so it needs updating. I would be in favor of merging but would like other eyes to comment.

I'm not personally familiar with the twitter bootstrap so I can't comment on the merits of that particular framework but it seems like a good approach. Anyone else have thoughts?

-Chris

Raphael

Apr 3, 2014, 10:17:30 AM4/3/14
to satchmo-d...@googlegroups.com

Well I have read it's one of the best approaches. -> Twitter Bootstrap-based responsive design for Satchmo, I am sure lots of people have been waiting for it.
I tried to add a "python rocks shirt image" for you - but it's not being displayed yet. sorry. :)

Thanks for the hard work!

--
Raphael
http://develissimo.com

face-smile.png

Chris Moffitt

Apr 3, 2014, 9:49:01 PM4/3/14
to Satchmo developers
I looked at this in a little more detail and can tell you've done a lot of work to get this far. I like where it is so far. In your opinion, how much more work needs to be done before it "works?"

Also, I noticed at least 1 database change, are there others in there? Ideally, I'd like to minimize the amount of change but if it's compelling, it's not a show stopper.

-Chris

kcharvey

Apr 5, 2014, 10:25:36 AM4/5/14
to satchmo-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks both, I'm really glad you like it and hope it's going to be helpful to the project.

I've looked back through the commits I've made and created issues for stuff that needs to be fixed. Only one is major. Also, starting at this changeset I introduce a new feature with model changes. We should probably leave that out for now, I can encapsulate that in a different effort/pull request. Therefore, I tagged the last change that I made that involved incorporating Bootstrap. That's the changeset that I considered the work to be done as needed for my site. There are definitely templates that I didn't touch during this project. Here's the diff:

Highlights:
  • Move the "Cart Contents" sidebar to it's own template tag
  • Include a blank style.css for easy customization
  • Reworked base.html grid to allow a bit more flexibility (sidebars removable on child templates, for example)
  • Simplified product/custom/detail templates (less duplication, still overrideable)
Next steps (besides the issues)
  • There are definitely breaking changes, i.e. removed class names and HTML. Can we ask the community to test it? How do we communicate breaking changes?
  • Audit the templates that are not present in the above diff (anyone know some Mercurial Fu to generate a list of unchanged files with the .html extension?)
  • Browser testing
  • An update documentation for how to theme Satchmo
  • Manage.py command for creating a theme app?
I think a pull request from my 'bootstrap' tag is in order, and we can move my issues to the main BitBucket list. Thoughts?

Kevin