error installing Compass

Brenda Talbot

May 13, 2016, 3:59:22 PM5/13/16
to Sass
Completely new to Sass!

Trying to install Compass, I entered this in Terminal:

sudo gem install compass

and got this message:

ERROR: Error installing compass:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/bin/ruby extconf.rb

mkmf.rb can't find header files for ruby at /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/include/ruby.h

Gem files will remain installed in /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/ffi-1.9.10 for inspection.

Results logged to /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/ffi-1.9.10/ext/ffi_c/gem_make.out

So, the install seems to have failed. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help!

hen...@core-ux.com

Jun 2, 2016, 5:54:03 PM6/2/16
to Sass
This is exactly the same problem I encountered. I am surprised to see it here without a resolution.

hen...@core-ux.com

Jun 5, 2016, 7:50:46 AM6/5/16
to Sass
This this group active?

John Riviello

Jun 5, 2016, 2:06:01 PM6/5/16
to Sass
Assuming you're on OSX, do you have the xcode command line tools installed? If not try installing them with

$ xcode-select --install

And then try installing Compass again.