Getting started with contributing

Bilal Kazi

Feb 25, 2016, 3:15:21 PM2/25/16
to Sass
Hi, I'm new to contributing to sass although I do have experience programming in Ruby, C, Haskell and others and use Sass on a regular basis.
I wanted to know what would be a good place to start understanding the way it works and contribute
Useful tips and guides would be much appreciated
Thank you

Natalie Weizenbaum

Feb 26, 2016, 6:34:44 PM2/26/16
to sass-lang
Hi Bilal!

This sort of depends on your learning style. There's not an implementation guide as such, but the Sass code itself is reasonably well documented, so you could just sit down and start reading. If you prefer a more active approach, there are a bunch of issues on the issue tracker tagged "Help Wanted" that we believe are good starting points for people new to the codebase. There are both features and bugs, depending on which you prefer working on.

I'm also happy to answer any questions you have about the existing code or the best way to approach a problem.

- Natalie

Bilal Kazi

Feb 29, 2016, 5:13:13 AM2/29/16
to Sass
Hi,

Thank you for the reply
I had planned on helping out on issue #512 which I believe would have a relatively straightforward implementation to start with since it would just need a mapping of gray(x) to rgb(x, x, x) or something similar from maybe a static Sass tree to a CSS tree.
I was a bit confused as to how exactly I would go about doing that

Cheers

Natalie Weizenbaum

Feb 29, 2016, 3:46:44 PM2/29/16
to sass-lang
All the functions are defined in lib/sass/script/functions.rb. You can add a new definition there, based on the existing ones.