Can anyone repair a SARK 110? I GIVE UP!

k3gau Dave

Apr 13, 2020, 12:04:18 PM4/13/20
to sark110
GA All,

See my post about replacing a Navigator switch.  I purchased two of the switches recommended.  Just tried replacing the switch.  Things have gone from bad to worse.  At this point I have a switch in but probably not seated properly.  In addition I have manage to 'liberate' C94 and R106 from the board. I did not do it intentionally believe me! :-(  I have the original components but they may not be good.

I GIVE UP!  Is there some one who has the proper tools and ability to install a new C94, R106 and if necessary replace the switch I put in?  I do have a new  switch that I can send with the unit.

Dave K3GAU

Steve Ellington

Apr 13, 2020, 1:57:55 PM4/13/20
to sar...@googlegroups.com
I've got one with a switch on the side (menu) that's flopping around. I have to be very careful and hold it just right.
That switch just suddenly broke for no reason. The device isn't built very well and the menu is horrible to use. Normally I just take the laptop
out to the antenna site and use it with the 110 instead of dealing with that menu.
I got the 110 because it is capable of measuring higher impedances... It comes in handy for end fed antennas.

Steve Senft

Apr 14, 2020, 12:14:33 AM4/14/20
to sar...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I may be able to help you out with the repair your SARK-110. I repair marine electronic systems for a living, and I'm quite comfortable with SMD repair. Feel free to contact me directly if interested.

73 - Steve KG4LJB

John G3PQA

Apr 14, 2020, 4:27:12 AM4/14/20
to sar...@googlegroups.com

To Steve Ellington,
I have seen (and repaired with the help from Melchor and Dave G3TJP) quite a few Sark-110 over the years, and my own has been in use since 2012.  I have no complaints with the build quality of such a small device used outside in the field and have found the controls intuitive. Maybe you have been unlucky.

In my opinion, the design of the Sark-110 plus its small size, bright screen, ease of use, accuracy and many features including TDR still give it few rivals for performance in the field, as well as excellent for quick general component measurement and analysis with Sark plots or Z-Plots in the shack.
The support from Melchor EA4FRB has been 100%.

FYI - The on-off switch is on the opposite side to the Menu and I had to replace mine after 5 years which not bad considering the high use I gave it. Also the MCX input socket, both easily replaceable for someone with good SMD soldering skills. I use my Sark outside with a 800mm RG174 flexible test cable for HF measurements. Others have made adaptor brackets for an external SMA socket.

There is an older version of the Firmware supporting permanent menus on left hand side and different scale layout which you may find easier to use. I still use this myself.
http://www.sark110.com/files/firmware/legacy
John G3PQA

k3gau Dave

Apr 14, 2020, 7:48:04 AM4/14/20
to sark110
GM All,

Thanks for your comments and offers.  I do love my SARK 110.  Things are a little small for me but it works well.  I will be getting touch with one of you.

Dave K3GAU

k3gau Dave

Apr 14, 2020, 4:03:07 PM4/14/20
to sark110
Melchor,

Would you kind enough to give us the values for C94 and R106?  Would like to replace them with new ones when my SARK 110 is repaired.

Thank you.

Dave K3GAU

melchor...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2020, 1:46:20 AM4/15/20
to sar...@googlegroups.com

Hello Dave,

For sure. Please find the values and possible part numbers:

Ref

Mfr. P/N

Digi-Key P/N

Mouser P/N