Re: Digest for sark110@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Steve Senft

May 19, 2021, 10:20:17 AM5/19/21
to sar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Melchor,

I've ordered 4 LCD's - more than enough to meet my future needs, with spares available to help others.

Any chance you could redesign the SARK-110 to use a 7" or larger LCD, and controlled by something other than the troublesome navigator switch? The pocket sized convenience of the SARK-110 is nice, but the screen is SO bloody small!  For outside use, a monochrome screen like the SARK-110 ULM is an advantage, and the conventional keyboard is great, but I find the screen to be way too small.

My USB jack has failed. I looked for the part numbers and links from the SARK-110 website, but ran into some issues. You may want to include this link.

Cheers and 73 - Steve KG4LJB

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 4:56 AM <sar...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Steven Andros <andro...@gmail.com>: May 18 07:00AM -0700

Hello all,

58+ years experience on this planet has taught me to conclude that "Gravity
is not my friend". With that in mind, I'm deeply concerned that one day
gravity will claim the LCD in my SARK-110, and render this somewhat
expensive device all but useless.

I've searched for the number printed on the back of the LCD module and came
up with zero. Does anyone know if it's available?

Cheers and 73 - Steve KG4LJB
<melchor...@gmail.com>: May 18 09:40PM +0200

Hello Steve,

There are compatible parts such as the following:

<https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32370562911.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.970d4c4dALMaEK> 3.0 inch 37P TFT LCD Screen (16:9) (No Touch Panel) R61509V Drive IC 16Bit Data Interface 240*RGB*400 FPC 8K2855|fpc 40|fpc touchfpc lcd - AliExpress

The mechanical fitting is a bit different; it does not have the metallic tabs for soldering to the board, but it does include double-side adhesive to bond it to the board.

Best regards,

Melchor EA4FRB

58+ years experience on this planet has taught me to conclude that "Gravity is not my friend". With that in mind, I'm deeply concerned that one day gravity will claim the LCD in my SARK-110, and render this somewhat expensive device all but useless.

I've searched for the number printed on the back of the LCD module and came up with zero. Does anyone know if it's available?

Cheers and 73 - Steve KG4LJB

John G3PQA

May 19, 2021, 1:01:24 PM5/19/21
to sar...@googlegroups.com, Steve Senft
Thanks Melchor and Steve,
The display on my 110 has got a little bit dimmer over the many hours and years I have been using the useful little device,  so I was thinking of buying a replacement myself.
Steve, If you can spare the time, please let us know how you get on with the fitting!
73, John
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sark110+u...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sark110/CAAtprpD9%2BMZ9P%2Bi-RtquQSr6de1Kz3bv%3DDkchSDne_MrW%2Beeww%40mail.gmail.com.

Steve Senft

May 19, 2021, 1:49:58 PM5/19/21
to g3...@onetel.com, sar...@googlegroups.com
Hello John,

While I have no immediate need for a replacement display, it seems reasonable to presume that one day I will, and given my inability to source one independently, I was more than a little worried. Thanks to Melchor's information I've ordered 4 panels and with shipping the total was just over $25. Money well spent. There's a good chance someone else will need replacement services, and I'll be happy to help should the need arise.

The LCD has a ribbon cable permanently attached to the glass, with the other end soldered in place to the circuit board. Replacement should be fairly easy and straightforward. Simply align the ribbon cable "fingers" to the corresponding pads on the circuit board, then solder it in place. As Melchor mentioned the original LCD has a metal frame that is soldered at 4 points to the circuit board, holding it in place. The new LCD lacks this feature, using double sided tape instead.

I wonder if there's a way to mod this unit to allow the use of a much larger display? Obviously a new larger package would be needed to accommodate it all, but that would be a good trade for the elimination of the eye strain I have to endure after using this gem for a while. Yes, I link it to my computer when using it on the bench, but a tablet sized package with a daylight visible LCD would be ideal for outdoor use.

Given the relative fragility of the USB port, I'd like to see a dedicated charging jack (and the elimination of the bloody navigation switch) - if ever Melchor was inspired to create a new version.  Perhaps something without a display that uses your phone or tablet for display and control.

Another feature request would be the ability to quickly increase or decrease the span of a preset -  up or down in fixed steps -  using the navigation switch. I find the presets too wide for most situations. I know the preset parameters can be edited - fine until you do a memory clear, then you have to remember how to edit them again.

73 - Steve KG4LJB

mikestangelo

May 29, 2021, 10:02:03 AM5/29/21
to sar...@googlegroups.com
Steve,

I recommend buying the rubber case for the SARK-110. It has saved me a couple of times.

Mike N2MS

Sent from my Galaxy Tab A