Re: Rotary switch replacements and more

Edward Mccann

Apr 30, 2023, 1:20:37 PM4/30/23
to sar...@googlegroups.com

I’m prompted to join in the response, and fully concur with John G3PQA’s endorsement of Melchor’s genius as well his willingness to respond on short notice.

Imagine, Melchor shrunk the capabilities of the early W5BIG one port 4170 analyzer into the Sark-110, made a more-affordable  product, and offered a software with clarity of Dan Maguire’s Zplots.

I am heartened somewhat that the hobby may have benefited from wide availability of the low-cost two-port nanoVNAs, and as such may have raised the tide of knowledge and appreciation of S11, S21, and all the other S parameters, although with a steep learning curve based on questions asked and answered in numerous forums suggest many attracted initially may just hang it up, never having seen a Smith Chart until it hit the little screen.

I have enjoyed and benefited from years of traffic on this site, and have felt a bit sad watching it diminish from the early days. But even the lack of traffic and queries on the Sark-110 is an endorsement of its success!!

For antenna work the device and its software is about as good as it gets.

Best from the West,

Ed McCann
AG6CX
Sausalito, California

I still prefer using my Sark-110 to all other portable analysers.
In my opinion Melchor's carefully developed design and versatile software is excellent and much easier to use than the NanoVNA which I find cumbersome in comparison.
Near VNA measurement accuracy in many functions in Smith Chart and rectangular modes, matching n/w calculation, cable loss, simulated TDR mode with selectable distances, coax Vf, signal generator, etc. etc., all in a shirt top pocket. What more can we possibly want?

On Apr 30, 2023, at 8:28 AM, Melchor Varela <melchor...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi James,

Before replacing the switches you might try to clean them with isopropyl alcohol or any switch contact cleaner.

Best regards, Melchor EA4FRB

El dom, 30 abr 2023 2:43 p. m., 'John G3PQA' via sark110 <sar...@googlegroups.com> escribió:
James, I assume you mean the navigator button
Part Number: SLLB510100  ?
If so they are available from both Mouser and Ebay.
John

On Sunday, April 30, 2023 at 1:27:10 PM UTC+1 John G3PQA wrote:
Hi James,
I agree, it is a great shame. I still prefer using my Sark-110 to all other portable analysers.
In my opinion Melchor's carefully developed design and versatile software is excellent and much easier to use than the NanoVNA which I find cumbersome in comparison.
Near VNA measurement accuracy in many functions in Smith Chart and rectangular modes, matching n/w calculation, cable loss, simulated TDR mode with selectable distances, coax Vf, signal generator, etc. etc., all in a shirt top pocket. What more can we possibly want?
I guess you have looked on the "resources" section of the Sark-110 website for spares suppliers.
Where are you located? Call?
73
John

On Sunday, April 30, 2023 at 10:56:56 AM UTC+1 nullsg...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi all, it's a shame to see this project is discontinued, though with the NanoVNA and the like I guess it makes sense. That said, I still prefer the SARK for field use, and mine (first revision I think) sees a fair bit of that.

Recently the rotary switches on mine have stopped working, and I can't find ones that look the same. Does anyone have the model and possibly supplier for these so I can replace them. Would be a shame to see something like this become a paperweight because of a small plastic part.

James

Edward Mccann

Apr 30, 2023, 2:16:57 PM4/30/23
to sar...@googlegroups.com
For some reason I never saw James’ original incoming in this topic, but re-reading:

On Sunday, April 30, 2023 at 10:56:56 AM UTC+1 nullsg...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi all, it's a shame to see this project is discontinued, though with the NanoVNA and the like I guess it makes sense.

Melchor, does his reference indicate you’ve truly ended production and such on your great Sark - 110?

Guess I missed the memo.

Ed McCann
AG6CX
Sausalito, California