Questions about golden washers

Josh Lehan (Krellan)

Jul 30, 2023, 1:26:08 AM7/30/23
to sark110
Hi again. Included with the Sark 110 was a baggie containing the SMA-to-internal connector adapter, a SMA extension pigtail cable, and interestingly, two golden washers. One of them has a hex nut on the outside of it, the other is just a circle.

The purpose of the adapter and cable are obvious, and I assembled them without a problem, but I'm curious: what is the purpose of those two golden washers included in the kit? I'm not sure what the intention was for the user to do with these washers.

Thanks!

Josh
K6JSH

David J. Wilcox

Jul 30, 2023, 8:38:46 AM7/30/23
to sar...@googlegroups.com
Is all that came with my Sark 110 sold to me by StepIR antennas.  The gold washer  is on an SMA adapter cable, at least one  star washer. My take on that one is that the SMA female end was a part that was intended to be bolted to a chassis and therefore the lock washer. But instead they used it on the end of RG 316 coax to make the adapter.

image0.jpeg

Don't just have a good day, MAKE ONE!

David J. Wilcox’s iPhone

On Jul 30, 2023, at 1:26 AM, Josh Lehan (Krellan) <kre...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi again. Included with the Sark 110 was a baggie containing the SMA-to-internal connector adapter, a SMA extension pigtail cable, and interestingly, two golden washers. One of them has a hex nut on the outside of it, the other is just a circle.

Josh Lehan (Krellan)

Jul 30, 2023, 4:22:37 PM7/30/23
to sark110
Wow, that's a neat little kit. Nice value-add of SteppIR to include that extra stuff. I got mine from an eBay seller (it was NOS that had never been used). It did not come with the set of calibration dummy loads, that would have been nice to have. The red cover of my SMA connector was just a little plastic thing to protect the connector during shipping, it doesn't participate in the circuit in any way.

I ended up not using any of the two golden washers. If I were to use them, where should they go? I couldn't figure out how they would be helpful, since the pigtail and adapter connect just fine to the Sark 110 without needing any of those washers.

Josh
K6JSH

David J. Wilcox

Jul 30, 2023, 6:01:47 PM7/30/23
to sar...@googlegroups.com
The gold star washers came on the SMA connector that was designed to be installed on a chassis.  Whomever made the test cable didn’t take the time to remove it.  It was not needed unless one was to use the connector in a build project.  The original Sark 110 came with all the adapters from the manufacturer.  StepIR was just a vendor selling the Sark at Dayton one year. That was where I bought it.  That was before the NanoVNA kits were first available for $50.  The Sark 110 was the first commercially available small handheld VNA that I became aware of and felt it would fit in my go kit. It did and follows me everywhere I go.  Ha!

Dave K8WPE