Unable to undertand workflow execution in sarasvati from examle given in wiki.

nagin

Nov 22, 2009, 11:21:46 AM11/22/09
to sarasvati-wf-users
Hi Paul,

I have gone through jbpm and understood the concept in jbpm. With this
context, I am unable to understand how work flow process in sarswati
(with the example given in the wiki). I am not able to understand how
process execution flows through each node( similar to state in jppm)
with out any external signal. When does node is in wait state and how
to proceed to next node in that case? How do client knows which nodes
are in wait state or process has stoped for externa action?. How in
Saraswati external task can be assigned to user (in jbpm they have
task node). I have lot many other question and confusion regardinng
Sarasvati workflow engine.
It will be great help to me if you can share any example code of
using Saraswti for any simple but practical workflow. I will greately
appreciate your help in this regards

thanks in advance

regards,

Nagin Kohari

Paul Lorenz

Nov 22, 2009, 12:00:32 PM11/22/09
to sarasvati...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nagin,
  Take a look at the code under the examples directory. There are memory based and hibernate based consoles which let you run all the example workflows. See http://code.google.com/p/sarasvati/source/browse/java/trunk/examples/com/googlecode/sarasvati/example/mem/MemExampleConsole.java for one of them.

The examples include some simple task based workflows. Sarasvati does not come with it's own model for tasks, since every organization will likely need a custom notion of task. Generally the task will point to the node token that generated it. The simple tasks defined under examples/ demonstrate the technique.

Hope that helps,
cheers,
Paul

nagin

Nov 25, 2009, 3:52:06 AM11/25/09
to sarasvati-wf-users

Hi Paul,
Thanks for early and prompt reply. By looking at the examples you
suggested, I could get the feel of what Sarasvati workflow engine
can do. It's really simple, hence flexible, and extensible workflow
framework. I sincerely hope and wish that Sarasvati get wide
acceptance among developer community as it matures over period of
time.

I have few suggestions.

1. In Sarasvati one can define its own node type and register with
engine. This is great thing to do for those who wants to do work at
lower level. However in most of cases there are frequent type of nodes
with defined behavior that usually used in most of workflow. Such
common nodes with pre defined behavior can be made available by
default in Sarasvati. I understand this be done over period of time as
it gets more matured.
2. From looking at the code it looks like workflow can have multiple
starting node and workflow engine start from each starting node. In
some cases it may be needed that workflow may need to start from
particular starting node only. Is it possible to do?

I had a little problem with compiling the code from zip file I
downloaded from this site and also with the code in svn. Java file
"com.googlecode.sarasvati.rubric.lang.RubricLexer" and "RubricParser
class" is missing in code . So source is not getting compiled. Hence I
can not run example related to Rubric gaurd. Can you please help to
get these files?

regards,

Nagin

On Nov 22, 10:00 pm, Paul Lorenz <plor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Nagin,
>   Take a look at the code under the examples directory. There are memory
> based and hibernate based consoles which let you run all the example
> workflows. Seehttp://code.google.com/p/sarasvati/source/browse/java/trunk/examples/...
> > sarasvati-wf-us...@googlegroups.com<sarasvati-wf-users%2Bunsubs­cr...@googlegroups.com>
> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/sarasvati-wf-users?hl=.- Hide quoted text -

Paul Lorenz

Nov 25, 2009, 2:00:28 PM11/25/09
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 3:52 AM, nagin <nagink...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Paul,
Thanks for early and prompt reply. By looking at the examples you
suggested, I could get the feel of what  Sarasvati  workflow engine
can do. It's really simple, hence flexible, and extensible workflow
framework. I sincerely hope and wish that Sarasvati get wide
acceptance among developer community as it matures over period of
time.

Thank you.

I have few suggestions.

1. In Sarasvati one can define its own node type and register with
engine. This is great thing to do for those who wants to do work at
lower level. However in most of cases there are frequent type of nodes
with defined behavior that usually used in most of workflow. Such
common nodes with pre defined behavior can be made available by
default in Sarasvati. I understand this be done over period of time as
it gets more matured.

Yes, I'm guess we'll eventually accumulate a tool chest of built in nodes. However, I personally only really use a couple of custom nodes for task generation and the script node for anything else.

2. From looking at the code it looks like workflow can have multiple
starting node and workflow engine start from each  starting node. In
some cases it may be needed that workflow may need to start from
particular starting node only. Is it possible to do?

I would do that with a guard on each start node. Each start node will get a token, but the ones you don't need, you can discard.

I had a little problem with compiling the code from zip file I
downloaded from this site and also with the code in svn.  Java file
"com.googlecode.sarasvati.rubric.lang.RubricLexer" and "RubricParser
class" is missing in code . So source is not getting compiled. Hence I
can not run example related to Rubric gaurd. Can you please help to
get these files?

Those files are generated automatically from the rubric grammer using ANTLR. If you are working from SVN (which I recommend, at the moment), you can run ant buildLangJar, which will generate dsls.jar in lib. I recommend running from SVN because there are many new features and fixes in trunk. It's ready for release, but I need to finish updating the docs.

Also, if you are interested in trying the new graphical editor, you can generate a jar installer for it by running ant dist, and then running java -jar dist/sarasvati-editor-1.0.0-rc3-install.jar

cheers,
Paul