Why the Haskell?

paulx...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2012, 10:37:41 PM8/15/12
to sarasvati...@googlegroups.com
I just downloaded the whole svn repository to look through your code. First question, which does not seem to be addressed anywhere in your wiki, what is the difference between the top-level Haskell and Java codebases?

Paul Lorenz

Aug 16, 2012, 8:59:46 AM8/16/12
to sarasvati...@googlegroups.com
The Haskell came first and helped prototype ideas. However, the
Haskell codebase is now pretty far behind the Java codebase in terms
of features. Also, I'm pretty sure the Haskell is not idiomatic, and
could be much cleaner.

Cheers,
Paul

paulx...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2012, 5:30:47 PM8/16/12
to sarasvati...@googlegroups.com
Ironically, I was setting along almost the same path. Try out Haskell, but develop in C#.

What, if anything, did you learn?

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:37 PM,  <paulx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just downloaded the whole svn repository to look through your code. First
> question, which does not seem to be addressed anywhere in your wiki, what is
> the difference between the top-level Haskell and Java codebases?

Paul Lorenz

Aug 17, 2012, 2:39:45 PM8/17/12
to sarasvati...@googlegroups.com
I found that starting a big project in a new language is very helpful
for overcoming analysis paralysis, as you just start trying to get
things workings, rather than trying to build a complete model before
starting construction. I also found that developing in Haskell
influenced the design positively. It's been long enough that I can't
remember any particulars, though.

Cheers,
Paul