Feature request: supprt for custom process data

Vlad Averchenkov

Jan 28, 2013, 3:21:10 PM1/28/13
to sarasvati...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

We need a new feature in Sarasvati: possibility to provide custom data about process as a whole in the process definition xml.
Examples of custom process data: process description/documentation, process parameters, time restrictions, execution flags, authorization requirements, etc.
All this (and more) can be easily supported by adding optional <custom> element to the process xml, similar to <custom> element defined on the node level; plus access to this data using Sarasvati API.

E.g.:
<process-definition name="MyProcess" xmlns="http://sarasvati.googlecode.com/ProcessDefinition">
<custom>
<processInfo xmlns="urn:mynamespace/sarasvati-extensions">
    <description><![CDATA[<p> .....</p>]]></description>
    <parameters> .... </parameters>
    <flags runWithCallerIdentity="true" allowConcurrentInstances="false"/>
</processInfo>
</custom>

<node name="Start node" isStart="true">

I attached a simple patch that adds optional <custom> element to the ProcessDefinition.xsd and corresponding code changes.

What do you think about adding this feature to Sarasvati, and maybe including it into the next release?

Thank you,
Vlad

process-custom.patch

Paul Lorenz

Jan 28, 2013, 4:57:21 PM1/28/13
to sarasvati...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vlad,
  Seems like a reasonable feature. I'll take a look at the patch.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Lorenz

Feb 3, 2013, 10:33:03 PM2/3/13
to sarasvati...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vlad,
   I committed a slightly cleaned up version of your patch. Do you need access to the custom data only at load time? Or do you need the custom data at runtime as well? If you need it at runtime, my inclination is to implement it the same way that Externals handle it, with a ReadEnv making the values available. I don't think implementing it the same way that Nodes are done, where you need to implement a subtype, makes sense.

Thoughts?

Paul

Vlad Averchenkov

Feb 8, 2013, 10:01:54 AM2/8/13
to sarasvati...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,
Thank you for fixing and committing the patch, that will help us a lot.
We need to access custom data only at load time, as a static information about process, not at runtime; so the current implementation is sufficient for our goals.
We use jaxb with a custom schema for retrieving custom data; I believe it's a cleaner approach than special mechanism similar to the one used in custom nodes.

Vlad

Paul Lorenz

Feb 8, 2013, 10:06:51 AM2/8/13
to sarasvati...@googlegroups.com
Ok, cool. Once I've got a solution I'm happy with for the token set issue, I'll put out a release with the couple of things that have accumulated.

Cheers,
Paul

Vlad