Solar Radio burst around 17:24z today?

Raydel Abreu (CM2ESP)

Apr 21, 2022, 8:03:50 PM4/21/22
to sara-list
Hi everyone.

Does anyone recorded anything similar to a solar radio burst today (April 21st) around 17:24 UTC???

It might be instead just plain RFI but it looks similar to other burst I have recorded here previously. So an independent confirmation would be great.

Best regards!

Raydel CO2ESP
220421172100_CO2ESP.JPG

ashc...@heliotown.com

Apr 21, 2022, 8:19:08 PM4/21/22
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Here is your burst Raydel as captured from New Mexcio. See attached.- Tom
220421171744Heliotown.JPG

Raydel Abreu (CM2ESP)

Apr 21, 2022, 8:52:33 PM4/21/22
to sara-list
Hi Thomas!

Thank you very much for your confirmation. Perfect match for sure! I was using just a 40m band (7MHz) dipole. I definitely need to build a proper antenna now that the solar cycle is getting interesting!

Best regards!

Raydel. CO2ESP

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/5d2b5243602b18bf64a258999946adec.squirrel%40emailmg.netfirms.com.

Whitham Reeve

Apr 22, 2022, 1:38:13 PM4/22/22
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
Hi Raydel - Here is the radio burst as detected by my Callisto installation at the HAARP facility. Note that the burst went all the way down to 12 MHz.

This summer I will adjust my Callisto installations at Cohoe and HAARP to observe down to 5 MHz, just to see how low solar radio can go through the high latitude ionosphere.

Whit
Reeve_HAARP_Solar_1724_21Apr2022.png

Raydel Abreu (CM2ESP)

Apr 22, 2022, 1:56:24 PM4/22/22
to sara-list
Hi Whit.

Thank you very much for the data. Wow. Very impressive the bandwidth of your callisto station. I had seen callisto but usually above 50MHz as it was using TV tuners. I'm curious about what tuner and antenna you use capable of working in such wide range.

Best regards!

Raydel

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.

Hamish Barker

Apr 22, 2022, 6:12:03 PM4/22/22
to sara...@googlegroups.com
hi whit,

what's the best web resource for post-fact checking solar radio burst and flare times, in order to check if a spike on my interferometer data is local RFI or solar?

Cheers,
Hamish

ashc...@heliotown.com

Apr 22, 2022, 6:33:08 PM4/22/22
to sara...@googlegroups.com

> what's the best web resource for post-fact checking solar radio burst and
> flare times, in order to check if a spike on my interferometer data is
> local RFI or solar?
>
> Cheers,
> Hamish

Check out :

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/solar-and-geophysical-event-reports

ashc...@heliotown.com

Apr 22, 2022, 7:48:16 PM4/22/22
to sara...@googlegroups.com

Solar Event Report List

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/solar-and-geophysical-event-reports

See also:
ftp://ftp.swpc.noaa.gov/pub/indices/events/

This ftp site contains archived daily reports.

At the very bottom of the FTP list see a README file which will explain
the terms and codes in play.

Good luck! - Tom

Whitham Reeve

Apr 22, 2022, 8:04:20 PM4/22/22
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
Hi Raydel - I use up-converters of my own design with the Callisto instruments. The up-converters have an RF input range of 5 to 80 MHz and IF output range of 205 to 280 MHz. The IF output goes directly into the Callisto, which is setup to tune that range.

I installed an LWA Antenna last summer. It is connected to two Callistos, one for each polarization. My LWA power coupler has a quadrature coupler, which derives circular polarizations from the linear antenna polarizations.

Here is a link to an article that describes the installation in a little more detail: https://www.reeve.com/Documents/Articles%20Papers/Reeve_Callisto-LWA_HAARP.pdf

Whit

Whitham Reeve

Apr 22, 2022, 8:13:42 PM4/22/22
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
Hi Hamish - Tom Ashcraft provided the links that I use almost every day.

You also can checkout the Callisto data at: http://soleil.i4ds.ch/solarradio/callistoQuicklooks/

The Callisto data usually is delayed 30 minutes or so but coverage is worldwide.

Whit

Dr. Rich Russel

Apr 22, 2022, 8:23:31 PM4/22/22
to whit...@gmail.com, sara...@googlegroups.com

Raydel Abreu (CM2ESP)

Apr 22, 2022, 9:56:47 PM4/22/22
to sara-list
Oh! Great solution Whit.

Thanks for the link. Will check the info. Have a great weekend.

Best regards,

Raydel