Re: [SARA] Abridged summary of sara-list@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 10 topics

dcan...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2023, 12:21:48 PM3/7/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
D Purdon

On Mar 7, 2023, at 12:18 PM, sara...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Steve Olney <hawkr...@gmail.com>: Mar 06 01:39PM -0800

One thing that struck me whilst trawling for maser info, was that many
reasonably strong ones have only been observed a few times - or maybe even
just once. In addition often the last observation ...more
Eduard Mol <eddiem...@gmail.com>: Mar 07 08:27AM +0100

I do not think there would be any scientific value in such an amateur
observing program for masers. There is already the M2O (maser monitoring
organization,
https://www.masermonitoring.com/ ...more
Steve Olney <hawkr...@gmail.com>: Mar 07 01:38AM -0800

Hi Eduard,

I guess it depends on the definition of scientific value. Despite the Vela
pulsar probably being one of most regularly looked at pulsar I was able to
add some useful information ...more
"Marcus D. Leech" <patchv...@gmail.com>: Mar 07 10:54AM -0500

On 07/03/2023 04:38, Steve Olney wrote:

> But - yes - you are right - amateurs are generally not able to
> 'compete' against the pros - but it's fun trying and interesting as
> you say.
...more
Douglas Decker <dbdec...@gmail.com>: Mar 06 09:44AM -0600

Great find Alex. I was thinking same thing with a patio umbrella. One question is the length of the wire element that you used?

I have tried cantennas and helix antenna . This will give me more ...more
b alex pettit jr <a_pet...@yahoo.com>: Mar 06 07:55PM

Hello Douglas,
It is a Full Wave Loop = right at 21cm.
A Patio Umbrella is not particularly Parabolic and nor is it probably sufficiently deep to shield the feed from 290K ground noise.
...more
Douglas Decker <dbdec...@gmail.com>: Mar 06 06:19PM -0600

I agree. Was going to .5 dish arms and try to build a bending jig for the patio umbrella arms . The patio umbrella is free since all the cloth rotted off. Ham you seen the hamdish site from the ...more
Marko Cebokli <s57...@hamradio.si>: Mar 07 04:05PM +0100

The shape of an umbrella is determined by the cloth, not the spokes, so
you can "tailor" yourself whatever f/d parabola you like (within
sensible limits, of course).
More than f/d, I am worried ...more
b alex pettit jr <a_pet...@yahoo.com>: Mar 07 03:20PM

Hello Marko,
Many upgrades are possible .. I wanted to design this to be constructed as simply as possible,but still have good performance.

This particular umbrella was selected as its spreaders ...more
Steve Olney <hawkr...@gmail.com>: Mar 06 03:38PM -0800

Wolfgang,
I sent a reply some 3 hours ago via the group email pathway...
It may or may not turn up eventually...
Steve O

On Monday, March 6, 2023 at 8:13:44 PM UTC+11 fasleitung3 wrote:
...more
fasleitung3 <fasle...@googlemail.com>: Mar 07 09:44AM +0100

Some strange things are going on with the list: I did not receive your
original post, I only saw the response from Marcus.The response you
mentioned has not shown up yet for me....Wolfgang ...more
Steve Olney <hawkr...@gmail.com>: Mar 07 01:44AM -0800

Hi Wolfgang,

I think I remember many moons ago that the group forum web interface is the
most reliable. Anyway - this was the email I sent to the group via -
email...
"Hi Wolfgang,
Thanks. ...more
"Marcus D. Leech" <patchv...@gmail.com>: Mar 06 03:18PM -0500

There was a discussion of RFI from displays (at 21cm specifically) on
the RTOP call.

Has anyone studied over what distances the problem exists, and what the
nature of the RFI is?  Like what ...more
Facility 406 <facili...@earthlink.net>: Mar 06 12:40PM -0800

"Marcus D. Leech" <patchv...@gmail.com>: Mar 06 03:50PM -0500

On 06/03/2023 15:40, Facility 406 wrote:

> RFI/EMI is not a definitive thing, it can exist wherever there is
> energy, and exists in a unique manner comparable to all the grains of ...more
fasleitung3 <fasle...@googlemail.com>: Mar 07 09:35AM +0100

Hi Marcus,
Experience here is that displays can be a BIG noisance. The greatest
offender is a big screen which we use for demonstrations. This one has
not only be turned off but also have to be ...more
Dimitry UA3AVR <ua3avr...@gmail.com>: Mar 06 11:12AM -0800

Eduard et all,
here i share a short text about my 6.7 GHz receiver. Hope this is just
begining of greater project, i'm looking forward to improve the receiver,
and the shared info could be ...more
Eduard Mol <eddiem...@gmail.com>: Mar 06 08:25PM +0100

Hi Dimitry,

Thank you for sharing this info. I hope it will also inspire other amateurs
to try this out, especially since you demonstrated such a good first result
on W3(OH) despite poor weather ...more
James Morris <morr...@gmail.com>: Mar 06 07:37PM -0800

Thanks for the write-up. What size dish is this, and how are you
controlling azimuth?

James W7TXT

...more
Dimitry UA3AVR <ua3avr...@gmail.com>: Mar 06 08:09PM -0800

Hi, James ... sorry for missing a size info in the text. Dish size - 1.8 m,
azimuth and elevation are controlled by own software written in LabVIEW
with a source tracking. 40 min of intergration ...more
"Dr. Rich Russel" <drrich...@netscape.net>: Mar 06 10:54PM

*Parker Solar Probe 15th encounter: March 16-21, 2023*