Kraken SDR and Interferometry

Jonathan Pettingale

Jul 1, 2024, 8:47:40 PM (3 days ago) Jul 1
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
Today I did a 23-hour drift scan, using 2 homemade cantennas, 12 feet apart, feeding a Kraken SDR. The Kraken was controlled using the "Modified BAA Seminar" software kindly provided by Marcus Leech. Cantennas are standard design for 1420 Mhz, with a Sawbird LNA, mounted at the feed point.  The time axis is hard to read but starts at 0106 UTC, the big bump is the Sun!

These are early days, much needs to be done regarding calibration and sensitivity, but the aim is to make a 5-element interferometer.

Screenshot 2024-07-01 193213.jpg

andrew....@googlemail.com

Jul 2, 2024, 3:57:09 PM (2 days ago) Jul 2
to sara...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jonathan,

Are chance you could send me copy of the modified BAA Seminar software to and...@thornett.net?

Andy

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/b304f9ae-941e-4866-aa15-2cf02ea80c6cn%40googlegroups.com.

image001.jpg

Jonathan Lister

Jul 2, 2024, 4:16:22 PM (2 days ago) Jul 2
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Calibration is the key!  You need an absolute source to reference it against.

Once you establish that reference you need to examine over what range the agreement will hold true.

Your base line reference does not know anything about the data you are trying to reference.

It's just a matter of reading up a little on theory.

All this "stuff" is contained in Maxwell's equations.

For clarity on this consult Landau's theoretical physics volume 2, The Classical Theory of Fields.

And take it from there..

Anthony

Jul 2, 2024, 8:16:01 PM (2 days ago) Jul 2
to sara...@googlegroups.com
I would also appreciate it if you didn't mind sending the modified BAA_Seminar software to itpart...@gmail.com.

Thank you very much!

batem...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2024, 9:29:29 PM (23 hours ago) Jul 3
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
More generally, instead of an email copy, is it available on a repository anywhere ?

And what modifications have been made ? I found the base Kraken firmware very unreliable and have currently parked my efforts with it.

Marcus D. Leech

Jul 3, 2024, 9:33:59 PM (23 hours ago) Jul 3
to sara...@googlegroups.com
On 03/07/2024 21:29, batem...@gmail.com wrote:
More generally, instead of an email copy, is it available on a repository anywhere ?

And what modifications have been made ? I found the base Kraken firmware very unreliable and have currently parked my efforts with it.
I'm willing to look at and incorporate any mods to baa_seminar that may be necessary.  I didn't do any of those mods
  myself because I don't have a KrakenSDR, and, TBH, I'm swamped with running the observatory at the moment.
  But I've also heard that the KrakenSDR firmware still needs some significant work, so I wasn't terribly enthused
  about going down that rabbit-hole myself....