Request for help to understand my plots from "first light" with my AD8302 interferometer board without aerials

andrew....@googlemail.com

Nov 23, 2023, 4:02:22 PM11/23/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com

Please can someone help me understand what I am seeing here!

https://astronomy.me.uk/first-light-of-ad8302-interferometer-board-without-aerials

Andy

Marcus D. Leech

Nov 23, 2023, 4:46:22 PM11/23/23
to andrew.thornett via Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
Those boards have a fair amount of gain internally, so unless the board is well shielded from outside influence, it's
  going to be "seeing" a whack of "stuff".  These things have useful analog bandwidth up to about 2.7GHz, and there's
  an awful lot of "stuff" that the board can be seeing over this frequency range even with nothing connected to the inputs
  if it isn't shielded.

Even if the board is shielded, with gain ahead of it (the LaNAs), but without any band-limiting, it's going to be reacting
  to huge swaths of environmental noise.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/002b01da1e50%24560201c0%2402060540%24%40googlemail.com.

Andrew Thornett

Nov 23, 2023, 8:09:25 PM11/23/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
There are 30MHz 1420Mhz filters just before the inputs go into the AD8302 board, which is itself surrounded by metal box
Andy

Nov 23, 2023, 8:42:05 PM11/23/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
On 23/11/2023 20:09, 'Andrew Thornett' via Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers wrote:
There are 30MHz 1420Mhz filters just before the inputs go into the AD8302 board, which is itself surrounded by metal box
Andy

Hmmm.  That's a bit odd.  Might be useful to stick an RTLSDR on the back of those filters, with the LNAs turned on, etc, to
  look at the band edges to see if there are strong signals present.

Marcus D. Leech

Nov 23, 2023, 9:26:23 PM11/23/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
On 23/11/2023 20:09, 'Andrew Thornett' via Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers wrote:
There are 30MHz 1420Mhz filters just before the inputs go into the AD8302 board, which is itself surrounded by metal box
Andy
The other possibility is that your LNAs are oscillating with no antenna on the input.    Although I think you said you'd tried
  a terminal on the input of the LNAs and that didn't calm anything down?

duncan campbell-wilson

Nov 24, 2023, 1:45:09 AM11/24/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
My thoughts are terminate both inputs at the correlation board . Establish that phase is noisey and  all phase values are equally represented. Connect one arm of the interferometer to  a terminated LNA. What you need to look for is a discernible phase . If this is seen the then their is a signal leak into the other side of the interferometer.  The testing can be a painful process.

duncan campbell-wilson

Nov 24, 2023, 1:55:19 AM11/24/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Power supply isolation maybe a source of internal cross correlation signal. Cross correlation is a very powerful investigative tool so systems need to be very clean in terms of RF leakage.

Andrew Thornett

Nov 24, 2023, 2:32:07 AM11/24/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Duncan.
So.when you say terminate both inputs at phase board, do you mean put 50 Ohm dummy loads on both?
When you say "Establish that phase is noisey and  all phase values are equally represented", do.you mean thst the maximum amplitude on peaks on trace will be same?
And my apologies please could this further too "What you need to look for is a discernible phase . If this is seen the then their is a signal leak into the other side of the interferometer."?

Nov 24, 2023, 4:21:05 AM11/24/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Grest info, Dave! Helps me understand it.
Can you recommend a cheap signal generator on amazon.co.uk that would do the job?
Andy
Nov 24, 2023, 4:21:09 AM11/24/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
And Dave can you point me to appropriate power splitter on amazon.co.uk?

Nov 24, 2023, 10:04:57 AM11/24/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Not sure one can find that stuff on Amazon.

Suggest looking for a used HP 8648B or similar sig gen on ebay or a used
equipment dealer in the UK.

For the splitter, perhaps the Mini-Circuits ZESC-2-11 would do the job. Pretty
sure they will ship internationally.
--
Dave

On 11/24/23 04:21, 'Andrew Thornett' via Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers wrote:
> And Dave can you point me to appropriate power splitter on amazon.co.uk?
>
> Sent from Outlook for Android <https://aka.ms/AAb9ysg>

Marcus D. Leech

Nov 24, 2023, 10:41:08 AM11/24/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
On 24/11/2023 10:04, Dave Typinski wrote:
> Not sure one can find that stuff on Amazon.
>
> Suggest looking for a used HP 8648B or similar sig gen on ebay or a
> used equipment dealer in the UK.
>
> For the splitter, perhaps the Mini-Circuits ZESC-2-11 would do the
> job.  Pretty sure they will ship internationally.
> --
> Dave
For this application a TV splitter will work just fine, TBH.

Dave Typinski

Nov 24, 2023, 12:31:19 PM11/24/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
On 11/24/23 10:40, Marcus D. Leech wrote:
> On 24/11/2023 10:04, Dave Typinski wrote:
>> Not sure one can find that stuff on Amazon.
>>
>> Suggest looking for a used HP 8648B or similar sig gen on ebay or a used
>> equipment dealer in the UK.
>>
>> For the splitter, perhaps the Mini-Circuits ZESC-2-11 would do the job.
>> Pretty sure they will ship internationally.
>> --
>> Dave
> For this application a TV splitter will work just fine, TBH.

Good point. Normally one wouldn't want to mix 50 and 75 ohm parts, but for this
quick single-frequency test, the 20X more expensive 50 ohm splitter isn't
absolutely required.

On the other hand, if one us buying a $1k 50 ohm sig gen, one may as well get a
nice 50 ohm splitter to go with it.
--
Dave

Andrew Thornett

Nov 24, 2023, 7:16:05 PM11/24/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
I think £1000 is too much for me
Andy
Sent: Friday, November 24, 2023 5:31:15 PM
To: sara...@googlegroups.com <sara...@googlegroups.com>

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.

Lester Veenstra

Nov 24, 2023, 8:39:32 PM11/24/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com

There are quite a number signal sources based on the  Analog Devices MAX2870 chip  that will serve as a much lower cost generator. These can be found on Amazon, and AliExpress for much less than an HP or R&S lab device.  Combine one of these sources with step attenuator, also low cost, same sources will allow bench testing of systems, and for that matter, antenna patterns.

For example:  MAX2870 Signal Generator 23.5MHz-6000MHz PLL Frequency Touching Screen LCD Display Radio Frequency Signal Source PC Software Controls  US$49.99

And

BECEN 60db SMA Push-Button Step attenuator,50 ohm ,DC to 2.5GHz  US$66

Lester B Veenstra  K1YCM  MØYCM  W8YCM   6Y6Y W8YCM/6Y 6Y8LV (Reformed USNSG CTM1)

les...@veenstras.com

452 Stable Ln

Keyser WV 26726 USA

GPS: 39.336826 N  78.982287 W (Google)

GPS: 39.33682 N  78.9823741 W (GPSDO)

Telephones:

Home:            +1-304-289-6057

US cell          +1-304-790-9192

Jamaica cell:    +1-876-456-8898

Andrew Thornett

Nov 24, 2023, 8:48:33 PM11/24/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Thanks - have ordered!
Nov 24, 2023, 11:55:04 PM11/24/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lester,

Can I ask you about item below- is that in any way a better choice than the ones you suggest?

LATNEX RF-SG6 RF Explorer Signal Generator High Frequency HF FM Modulation Radio Frequency Oscillator Source CW Sweep Tracking Generator 6GHZ (24MHz - 6000MHz)

Nov 27, 2023, 1:25:06 AM11/27/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jim

Thanks for advice – didn’t have one but got one on order now! I can save £70 if happy to wait 3 weeks for it so I am waiting……

Andy

Lester Veenstra

Nov 29, 2023, 6:15:00 PM11/29/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com

Contrary to title, to not see any modulation capability (FM)  so it noting more than the CW and sweeping sources below with more user friendly attenuator.  It was out of stock, so I could not see a UK price to judge value but the US  offer of USD 206

Is a bit steep for nice case.

Greetings from Negril Jamaica