My 3 m dish is gone

Old-Pilot

Dec 2, 2023, 9:24:25 PM12/2/23
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
Dear friends,

last night we receied some 40 cm (16") of WET snow; too much for my 3 m dish (in horizontal safety position).
It collapsed; no more than a bulk of snow overhead.

Collumn and AZ mount is still OK.

However I wil have to start from scratch, now.

Cheers

Volker

Marcus D. Leech

Dec 2, 2023, 9:48:54 PM12/2/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Very sorry to hear this.  It can be a tough decision when there's very bad weather as to whether one should stow
  the dish to prevent snow accumulation, or prevent wind damage.    I narrowly avoid a similar situation about 4 years
  ago without one of our 3m dishes.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/1be6dcd4-337f-48c4-b347-399247142551n%40googlegroups.com.

andrew....@googlemail.com

Dec 3, 2023, 8:04:39 AM12/3/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com

Oh Marcus – my heart goes out to you. I am so pleased to hear you are going to start again – but what I terrible Christmas present you received.

Please do send up all updates on the rebuild project as it goes along.

Andy

Marcus D. Leech

Dec 3, 2023, 9:36:11 AM12/3/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
On 03/12/2023 08:04, andrew.thornett via Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers wrote:

Oh Marcus – my heart goes out to you. I am so pleased to hear you are going to start again – but what I terrible Christmas present you received.

Please do send up all updates on the rebuild project as it goes along.

Andy

Andy:

Thanks, but it was Volker's dish that collapsed, not mine.

Marko Cebokli

Dec 3, 2023, 10:08:56 AM12/3/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com

There was an old hamradio saying: if the antenna survives the winter snow, it is too small.

So if this is any consolation to you, your antenna was big enough!

I hope you can resurrect it as easily as possible!

2023-12-03 15:36, je Marcus D. Leech napisal