More Maser musings...

Steve Olney

Mar 7, 2023, 6:30:35 PM3/7/23
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
Hi All,

I've been spending some time looking in detail at the maserdb database (thanks Eduard!) with the idea of seeing whether a 'blue-sky' project for long-term monitoring of a group of masers would be fun.  I think I've figured out a way of monitoring 52 water masers with a 1 m dish without tracking required and within the 2.4 MHz bandwidth afforded by a RTL-SDR dongle.

It's a bit convoluted - so best written up in a PDF.  If the initial analysis survives a more detailed analysis I will post it here - but it IS a'blue-sky' project - so that may not happen...;-)

Cheers

Steve O

Marcus D. Leech

Mar 7, 2023, 6:37:53 PM3/7/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
If you can accurately drive in elevation-only, this seems doable.   Let the earth spin objects into view.  That's how we're currently
  running our big dish (12.8m) for RRLs.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/0f209946-9ab5-4ed1-ac37-d649e60c328an%40googlegroups.com.

Steve Olney

Mar 7, 2023, 6:59:55 PM3/7/23
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers

On Wednesday, March 8, 2023 at 10:37:53 AM UTC+11 Marcus D. Leech wrote:
Hi Marcus,

No need for any driving at all.

Marcus D. Leech

Steve Olney

Mar 7, 2023, 7:14:35 PM3/7/23
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
Hi Marcus,

Don't hold your breath :-) It's all just a notion in my head from looking at the maserdb database. I need to do some analysis to see if there is any major gotchas...

Steve O

Marcus D. Leech

Mar 7, 2023, 7:15:17 PM3/7/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
On 07/03/2023 19:14, Steve Olney wrote:
Hi Marcus,

Don't hold your breath :-) It's all just a notion in my head from looking at the maserdb database. I need to do some analysis to see if there is any major gotchas...
I have been in that state more times than I care to admit..... :)

Steve O

On Wednesday, March 8, 2023 at 11:03:27 AM UTC+11 Marcus D. Leech wrote:

I await the .PDF :)

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.

Steve Olney

Mar 7, 2023, 7:16:35 PM3/7/23
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
That what makes RA so much fun !!!

Dave Typinski

Mar 7, 2023, 8:51:54 PM3/7/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
On 3/7/23 18:37, Marcus D. Leech wrote:

> If you can accurately drive in elevation-only, this seems doable. Let the earth
> spin objects into view. That's how we're currently
> running our big dish (12.8m) for RRLs.

If you have thousands of antennas, you can do that in the HF band too.

https://www.aanda.org/articles/aa/full_html/2011/01/aa14707-10/aa14707-10.html

Anyone know if the UTR-2 is still functioning?

--
Dave