My Excitement goes from up and up

63 views
Skip to first unread message

andrew....@googlemail.com

unread,
Dec 1, 2023, 8:38:00 AM12/1/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com

With Ted Cline’s amazing help, I have truly gone from zero to hero in 4 months!!!

Last night, we spent 4 hours on a Zoom call in which he gave me a run down of the science on creating galactic rotation curves and then we used my data to produce plots to show that galactic rotation (I can’t believe I could see this in my own data!!!) does NOT follow Keplarian rotation!.......The smoking gun evidence for dark matter – demonstrated on my own tiny radio telescope in my backyard! Wow! Wow! Wow!

When I started this exercise, I was hoping to pick up some galactic hydrogen – and was not certain I would ever achieved this – but now I have already mapped some of the arms of the Milky Way (my dream) and demonstrated dark matter (beyond any possible expectations I had)!!!

How did I do it:

(i)               SARA’s Scope in a Box project.

(ii)              Ted Cline’s wonderful ezRA software suite – why is everybody not using this? Perhaps everyone else wants to do it the hard way?!

(iii)            Ted Cline himself. What a guy!

Now I am filling in gaps on my map and seeing how far I can stretch it across additional galactic longitudes.

Radio Astronomy is truly an amazing hobby!

Andy

Mathew George

unread,
Dec 1, 2023, 8:52:06 AM12/1/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Feeling inspired after receiving your e-mail.

I hope you will share your results, as well.

Wishing you all a great weekend.

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To post to this group, send email to sara...@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
sara-list-...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/sara-list?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sara-list+...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/000201da245b%2495b8a1a0%24c129e4e0%24%40googlemail.com.

Dr. Rich Russel

unread,
Dec 1, 2023, 9:21:07 AM12/1/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations to you and Ted!!!!!!!

Rich

--

Marcus D. Leech

unread,
Dec 1, 2023, 11:07:24 AM12/1/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
On 01/12/2023 08:37, andrew.thornett via Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers wrote:

With Ted Cline’s amazing help, I have truly gone from zero to hero in 4 months!!!

Last night, we spent 4 hours on a Zoom call in which he gave me a run down of the science on creating galactic rotation curves and then we used my data to produce plots to show that galactic rotation (I can’t believe I could see this in my own data!!!) does NOT follow Keplarian rotation!.......The smoking gun evidence for dark matter – demonstrated on my own tiny radio telescope in my backyard! Wow! Wow! Wow!

When I started this exercise, I was hoping to pick up some galactic hydrogen – and was not certain I would ever achieved this – but now I have already mapped some of the arms of the Milky Way (my dream) and demonstrated dark matter (beyond any possible expectations I had)!!!

How did I do it:

(i)               SARA’s Scope in a Box project.

(ii)              Ted Cline’s wonderful ezRA software suite – why is everybody not using this? Perhaps everyone else wants to do it the hard way?!

Glad you're enjoying it!   Some of us (like me) have been writing our own SDR-based RA software since the early 2000s.
  My own software has focused on collection and preliminary analysis, and allowing a real-time display of "stuff".  It is based on
  Gnu Radio, which has historically been off-putting for Windows users.  But I understand that Radioconda makes that a LOT
  easier these days. The Radioconda installer -- designed by Ryan Volz at MIT Haystack really makes it a lot easier.  I don't know
  whether my most recent software--baa_seminar "just works" under Radio Conda, but maybe I'll poke Ryan to see if he can get
  it working...

But I haven't focused much on "packaging" post-facto analysis, since there are so very many generic data-analysis packages
  "out there".  Granted, they each have their own learning curve.

I started "evangelizing" SDR applications for small-scale radio astronomy nearly 20 years ago, and TBH, it has only been in the
  last 5-8 years that this community has started to think of this as anything other than "kooky".  So, I'm heartened that folks
  now actually have *choices* in the software they use for amateur and small-scale radio astronomy, including ezRA, my own
  software, Virgo, etc, etc.


Andrew Thornett

unread,
Dec 1, 2023, 11:10:19 AM12/1/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
My apologies if my comments in any way appeared to criticise folks for doing things a different way - I did not mean that - they were only meant to emphasise just how amazing I think ezRA is!
Andy


From: sara...@googlegroups.com <sara...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Marcus D. Leech <patchv...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, December 1, 2023 4:07:20 PM
To: sara...@googlegroups.com <sara...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [SARA] My Excitement goes from up and up
 
--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To post to this group, send email to sara...@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
sara-list-...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/sara-list?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sara-list+...@googlegroups.com.

Marcus D. Leech

unread,
Dec 1, 2023, 11:20:16 AM12/1/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
On 01/12/2023 11:10, 'Andrew Thornett' via Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers wrote:
My apologies if my comments in any way appeared to criticise folks for doing things a different way - I did not mean that - they were only meant to emphasise just how amazing I think ezRA is!
Andy
No worries, I wasn't offended at all.   Just wanted to take the opportunity to fill-in some background.


Nathaniel Butts

unread,
Dec 1, 2023, 11:34:34 AM12/1/23
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
The fact that there are options is exciting, and I think that can be a big help in keeping people interested longer and encourage them to go deeper.  I know Ted's Software has really kept me interested because I can "see" the results and shapes and some analysis relatively quickly.  RA has a steep curve.  

With the options now you can see the fruits of your efforts quicker, and get encouraged to dig deeper into the science.  I know I'm already thinking about how to get better data to test the various theories on the amount of material in the Milky Way, as well as life after H1.  Have a great group to talk with, and share knowledge with, makes a huge difference as well.

BTW, I was reading the rtl_sdr wiki to figure out how to do some specific testing on Linux and I ran across modules written by Marcus.  Real street cred.

Thanks,

Nathan Butts
Wannabe Astronomer
Bowling Green, KY

Marcus D. Leech

unread,
Dec 1, 2023, 11:45:32 AM12/1/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
On 01/12/2023 11:34, Nathaniel Butts wrote:
The fact that there are options is exciting, and I think that can be a big help in keeping people interested longer and encourage them to go deeper.  I know Ted's Software has really kept me interested because I can "see" the results and shapes and some analysis relatively quickly.  RA has a steep curve.  

With the options now you can see the fruits of your efforts quicker, and get encouraged to dig deeper into the science.  I know I'm already thinking about how to get better data to test the various theories on the amount of material in the Milky Way, as well as life after H1.  Have a great group to talk with, and share knowledge with, makes a huge difference as well.

BTW, I was reading the rtl_sdr wiki to figure out how to do some specific testing on Linux and I ran across modules written by Marcus.  Real street cred.
I'll note that the "baa_seminar" application is called that because it grew out of a two-part seminar I did for the BAA on
  Gnu Radio applications in small-scale radio astronomy.  I set it up a bit like a classroom exercise, and we built the application
  together, sort of.  Both of the videos are available on YouTube.


tedcl...@gmail.com

unread,
Dec 1, 2023, 12:56:56 PM12/1/23
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers

        On Friday, December 1, 2023 at 9:45:32 AM UTC-7 Marcus D. Leech wrote:
        ...
        I'll note that the "baa_seminar" application is called that because it grew out of a two-part seminar I did for the BAA on
          Gnu Radio applications in small-scale radio astronomy.  I set it up a bit like a classroom exercise, and we built the application
          together, sort of.  Both of the videos are available on YouTube.


Thanks, Marcus.
Please give us a link for the "baa_seminar" .GRC files ?

I think the 2 videos were posted as,

      Sep 19, 2021
      GNU Training Seminar Unpacking the mysteries of GNU Radio

      Jan 15, 2022
      GNU II Training seminar - Unpacking more mysteries of GNU Radio


---
Ted Cline
tedClineGit at gmail.com

      ezRA - Easy Radio Astronomy
      Free 1420 MHz Galactic hydrogen data collection and analysis
      https://github.com/tedcline/ezRA
      Windows and Linux

Marcus D. Leech

unread,
Dec 1, 2023, 12:59:37 PM12/1/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
On 01/12/2023 12:56, tedcl...@gmail.com wrote:

        On Friday, December 1, 2023 at 9:45:32 AM UTC-7 Marcus D. Leech wrote:
        ...
        I'll note that the "baa_seminar" application is called that because it grew out of a two-part seminar I did for the BAA on
          Gnu Radio applications in small-scale radio astronomy.  I set it up a bit like a classroom exercise, and we built the application
          together, sort of.  Both of the videos are available on YouTube.


Thanks, Marcus.
Please give us a link for the "baa_seminar" .GRC files ?
All of the CCERA software is at:

https://github.com/ccera-astro

The "baa_seminar" software is at:

https://github.com/ccera-astro/baa_seminar

I need to write more documentation for folks who didn't "attend" the seminar.  But I also need there to be two of me...



I think the 2 videos were posted as,

      Sep 19, 2021
      GNU Training Seminar Unpacking the mysteries of GNU Radio

      Jan 15, 2022
      GNU II Training seminar - Unpacking more mysteries of GNU Radio


---
Ted Cline
tedClineGit at gmail.com

      ezRA - Easy Radio Astronomy
      Free 1420 MHz Galactic hydrogen data collection and analysis
      https://github.com/tedcline/ezRA
      Windows and Linux

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To post to this group, send email to sara...@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
sara-list-...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/sara-list?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sara-list+...@googlegroups.com.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages