Protective Cover for Feed Horn

Clint Jeffrey

Apr 5, 2021, 10:23:46 AM4/5/21
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
Hi Chaps....We've discovered some wild life has been depositing stones and mud inside our Feed Horn which has set like concrete!....see attached pic.

It gets me how they do this when for 99% of the time the Dish is facing upwards!

Anyway, I know there is a plastic or some material that can be used that offers little if no attenuation to the frequency of interest, any ideas?

Cheers
Clint - VK3CSJ
ASV - LMRO
Dirt found inside Feed Horn.png

Captain Anne Flint

Apr 5, 2021, 11:22:08 AM4/5/21
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Hello Clint,
Perhaps it is a type of wasp? Here we call them 'mud daubers’, or hornets. I’ve read they dislike peppermint. This year I’m trying Dr. Bronner’s peppermint soap in a water solution. Usually a nest looks more structured, though. Perhaps it is some kind of bird? Is there anything above the feed horn besides sky?
W L Waters

<Dirt found inside Feed Horn.png>

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/CAB5XOBbF3bacW%3D%2Brkt6JzFR3V%3DyNY0%3D0h5A4tUyD2%3DmgJgtJiQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Marcus D Leech

Apr 5, 2021, 11:35:44 AM4/5/21
to sara...@googlegroups.com
I’ve used Kapton for this problem.  But polyethylene film works also. Make sure it’s got some venting afterwards or you’ll get big condensation issues.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 5, 2021, at 11:22 AM, Captain Anne Flint <bera...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Clint,

Jim Abshier

Apr 5, 2021, 1:22:12 PM4/5/21
to sara...@googlegroups.com
I use a coffee can cover. It fits my 6 inch feed horn exactly.

Jim Abshier

On 4/5/21 10:23 AM, Clint Jeffrey wrote:
> Hi Chaps....We've discovered some wild life has been depositing stones
> and mud inside our Feed Horn which has set like concrete!...see
> attached pic.
>
> It gets me how they do this when for 99% of the time the Dish is
> facing upwards!
>
> Anyway, I know there is a plastic or some material that can be used
> that offers little if no attenuation to the frequency of interest, any
> ideas?
>
> Cheers
> Clint - VK3CSJ
> ASV - LMRO
> Dirt found inside Feed Horn.png
> --
> --
> ---
> Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
> an email to sara-list+...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:sara-list+...@googlegroups.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/CAB5XOBbF3bacW%3D%2Brkt6JzFR3V%3DyNY0%3D0h5A4tUyD2%3DmgJgtJiQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

djl

Apr 5, 2021, 1:30:39 PM4/5/21
to sara...@googlegroups.com

remember that coverings in general can be tested in the microwave oven. Do they get warm?   make sure they are dead dry when you check and start with a short time :-)

Don

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/40A67385-4D14-4303-8598-618E324ED0BB%40gmail.com.

--
The whole world is a straight man.