W3(OH) with 1.5 meter alutape dish

Job Geheniau

Apr 13, 2021, 4:35:03 PM4/13/21
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
I hope I am allowed to post non-results.
Till today, I did a lot of experiments with 1.5 meter mesh dish covered with Alu tape.
At least 15 tries for W3(OH)
I know its possible with 1.1 meter radio dish.....
News: No result!
Lots of things can be the curse: Focal point, mesh/tape difference/ tracking errors, etc...whatever.

Thats also a ....nice...point  of amateur astronomy. NOT always you got the thing you want.

But tomorrow new dish will be delivered. New LNB's are waiting....Oh my God, it's good to be alive and have the time to get those Masers into view....:-)

Still remain a few tests with either Airspy mini or RTLSDR .....IMG_0735.jpgScreenshot 2021-04-10 at 3.28.27 PM.pngplot_1.pngwavefield-schotel-brede-arm-met-diameter-van-80-85-100-115-125-of-150cm-0-1-2-800x800.jpg

fasleitung3

Apr 15, 2021, 4:05:47 AM4/15/21
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Hi Job,
I find it very valuable to hear about unsuccesful attempts. I is certainly educational to learn what approaches have not been succesful and to think about what the reason might be. So please let us know how you are doing with your further experiments. I keep my fingers crossed that you are successful next time.
As a side note: I recently had a conversation with a professional radio astronomer. She said that the worst thing are marginal detections where you are not sure whether it is real or just some artefact. These are the situations when one spends a lot of time in analyzing the data just to find out that you still don't know :-(
Good luck,
Wolfgang
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/19757956-10ff-4fd9-af85-45373a6bccd8n%40googlegroups.com.