Cygnus A with JRT

Job Geheniau

May 14, 2022, 9:24:28 AM5/14/22
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
Over several weeks, I ended up making 11 drift scans of the area around Cygnus A (not every drift scan succeeded and there was also some time when I couldn't engage in this project unfortunately). Cygnus A is a radio galaxy with high radio emission. This emission is caused by synchrotron radiation. Each driftscan lasted 4 hours on 1410 MHz so as not to be affected by HI emission. The driftscan of Cygnus A itself at coordinates 19H59 and 40D44 had the highest result. The other driftscans showed less and less power. From these, I tried to make a 2 dimensional representation of the area around Cygnus A at 1410 MHz. All this with JRT [Job's Radio Telescope - 1.9 meters]. Also visible a (Excel) chart with all driftscans plotted in 1 chart. The (high) light blue plot is the Cygnus A driftscan itself.
Next project with this method: Cassiopeia A

Job Geheniau
Netherlands

CygA_Final.jpg
CygnusA_11Driftscans.jpg

jan Lustrup-LA3EQ

May 15, 2022, 3:29:34 AM5/15/22
to sara...@googlegroups.com

That’s amazing Job…well done!

Jan

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/45245bf8-9705-4303-aaa0-e73c2e37fba5n%40googlegroups.com.

fasleitung3

May 16, 2022, 4:30:01 AM5/16/22
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Hi Job,
Very nicely done and an excellent result for such a small dish.
Just a quick comment on what exactly you are seeing: As the resolution of your dish is limted, you are seeing the blended result of Cygnus A and the Cygnus complex including Cygnus X. So you are getting more energy than you would get from Cygnus A alone.
Good luck with CAS A.
Best regards,
Wolfgang

mario...@gmail.com

May 16, 2022, 4:56:16 AM5/16/22
to sara...@googlegroups.com

Hello all,

attached you will find a report on Cygnus A detection done in 3D with TotalPower, PstRotator, RTL-SDR e 5m dish.

I will appreciate comments and suggestions !

Mario A. Natali

Cygnus_A.pdf

Job Geheniau

May 16, 2022, 5:01:20 AM5/16/22
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Yes Wolfgang thats indeed true and I should have said “cygnus complex”. I am aware of the fact that this is blended (8 degrees beam) but happy that this ‘amateur experiment’ succeeded.
Thanks for extra info

Job

Op 16 mei 2022 om 10:56 heeft mario...@gmail.com het volgende geschreven:

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/000301d86902%24c9f3aa70%245ddaff50%24%40gmail.com.
<Cygnus_A.pdf>

Job Geheniau

May 16, 2022, 11:17:11 AM5/16/22
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
Nice, I just tried to learn the app with sun. Tomorrow I will try Cyg complex with this app.

Op maandag 16 mei 2022 om 10:56:16 UTC+2 schreef Mario A. Natali, I0NAA:
Screenshot 2022-05-16 at 5.08.58 PM.jpg

mario...@gmail.com

May 16, 2022, 1:37:05 PM5/16/22
to sara...@googlegroups.com

Hi Job,

nice plot !

I will appreciate if you can share your results.

Please take in consideration that with Cygnus A , that is much weaker, the ground noise at low elevation impact clearly the measure.

Cheers, Mario

Job Geheniau

May 16, 2022, 1:39:57 PM5/16/22
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Its not Cygnus A, my fault, its the Cygnus Complex (A & X) because I dont have that resolution here , 1.9 meter- extended 1.5

Op 16 mei 2022 om 19:37 heeft mario...@gmail.com het volgende geschreven:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/002f01d8694b%248c98afb0%24a5ca0f10%24%40gmail.com.