Spectral data sonification

Eduard Mol

Jul 3, 2024, 4:47:41 AM (yesterday) Jul 3
to sara-list
I recently stumbled across this project: https://github.com/james-trayford/strauss
This could also be interesting for radio astronomy, especially for outreach. For example it could be interesting to sonify hydrogen line data. Imagine slowly slewing a radio telescope along the galactic plane while letting the public "hear" the changes in doppler shift... that would be an awesome outreach activity.
I could not get the demo to work but then I'm not all that experienced in programming and only spent a few hours trying.

Eduard

fasleitung3

Jul 3, 2024, 7:58:19 AM (yesterday) Jul 3
to sara...@googlegroups.com
We have done this with the data of a scan of the galactic plane.
Best regards,
Wolfgang
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/CAFcm1Q6AYrEG_sGGhp%2BrqtYK%2Bx%2BAwX-3hT2GFLyX4QUiYf4aeA%40mail.gmail.com.

Alex P

Jul 3, 2024, 8:03:10 AM (yesterday) Jul 3
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
Wolfgang,
EXCELLENT !

Eduard Mol

Jul 3, 2024, 8:31:56 AM (yesterday) Jul 3
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Wow that’s really cool.
Whatever radio astronomy project idea I have, it seems like you guys at Astropeiler have already done it! 😉

Regards,
Eduard

Op wo 3 jul 2024 om 13:58 schreef 'fasleitung3' via Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers <sara...@googlegroups.com>

Jon Wallace

Jul 3, 2024, 9:32:10 AM (yesterday) Jul 3
to sara...@googlegroups.com, Eduard Mol
Eduard,
I tried doing this many years ago for a group I belonged to that had a request from a group of blind people trying to get some idea what we were seeing with our optical scopes. I couldn't get teh programming, which had incredibly little for instructions in those days (though I'm not sure I could make much headway even now...🙂). I needed up making a voltage controlled oscillator and an IBT to let them experience the radio astronomy bit and then the group attached it to the VCO as well so they could scan bright optical objects and they could get an understanding of what was being viewed. VERY crude but they enjoyed it a few times and then interest waned...
I remember getting NASA's Jupiter and Saturn Voyager disks and they had wonderful sonified recordings of all kinds of signals. I think NASA still has a section on one of their websites that has sonified data...
Loved Wolfgang's data - I could hear so much and people trained in this can hear so much more than we can see graphically! Thanks Wolfgang for sharing!
Anyway, I hope people continue to make this easier to use. If anyone finds a 'simple to use' version of this, I would love to know - thanks!
Take care!
Jon

b alex pettit jr

Jul 3, 2024, 11:10:11 AM (yesterday) Jul 3
to sara...@googlegroups.com

bsn...@gmail.com

1:13 PM (7 hours ago) 1:13 PM
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
Thanks Wolfgang. Fascinating even though I don't read German.