Thermal Stabilization of an AirSpy mini SDR

Alex P

Jun 13, 2024, 9:59:57 AMJun 13
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers

I have always had the SDR in a remote  box rather than running a long ( 25m ) coax. In the past, the SDR & USB Extender box had been on a shaded screen porch and was ( by chance ) somewhat temperature stabilized .

Over the past several months  I have been building and refining highly portable Disk Yagi antennas and for convenience, installed all electronics at the antenna.

What I  did not anticipate was that an AirSpy mini SDR is quite sensitive to temperature changes .   Not gain, but a significant change in spectral response : the filter shape changes .

Moving forward , I've finally stabilized the SDR by installing it within a small insulated box.  June 9th  was the first test of the TEC cooled , Resistive heated  thermal control system

I've never had such stable data .   An example is a spectrum plot set ( 135 ea) over 11 hours where the air temp changed from a morning low of 74F to a late afternoon high of  102F in the sunlit area around the SDR box ...

The large shift was due to the Sun transit within ~ 4 deg of the Declination +20 drift scan. It provides a nice separation of the 5 minute duration spectra scans.

SDR_Drift_8c.jpg

Presentation Attached.

Regards, Alex

SDR_TempControlSysytem08c.pdf

Anthony

Jun 16, 2024, 12:12:35 PMJun 16
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
Hi Alex, based on the non weatherproof equatorial mount this is a setup and tear down prior to rain, yes?

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/949ff9b5-8456-4f95-9b88-f07c0769a646n%40googlegroups.com.

Alex P

Jun 16, 2024, 12:21:50 PMJun 16
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
Yes  Fair Weather only  :)

b alex pettit jr

Jun 16, 2024, 12:43:39 PMJun 16
to 'Alex P' via Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
The goal was to have all the electronics at the antenna and to use a fiber optic data link .

This project was what it took to do so .

Anthony

Marcus D. Leech

Jun 16, 2024, 12:54:54 PMJun 16
to sara...@googlegroups.com
On 16/06/2024 12:43, 'b alex pettit jr' via Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers wrote:
The goal was to have all the electronics at the antenna and to use a fiber optic data link .

This project was what it took to do so .
Presumably, that's a fiber-optic 100M/1G/10G *network* data link?

I've found that RF-over-fiber links are about 10-20 times the price of fiber-optic network links.  Which is kind of odd, since
  it's basically the same technology.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.

b alex pettit jr

Jun 16, 2024, 1:40:03 PMJun 16
to sara...@googlegroups.com
This Fiber Optic Link is digital, but not Ethernet . They are  a USB Extender set using WDM wavelength
division multiplexing ( 1310nm and 1550nm )  over a single fiber .. rated to 5Km.
They work to 3MSPS.

On Sunday, June 16, 2024 at 12:54:55 PM EDT, Marcus D. Leech <patchv...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 16/06/2024 12:43, 'b alex pettit jr' via Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers wrote:
The goal was to have all the electronics at the antenna and to use a fiber optic data link .

This project was what it took to do so .
Presumably, that's a fiber-optic 100M/1G/10G *network* data link?

I've found that RF-over-fiber links are about 10-20 times the price of fiber-optic network links.  Which is kind of odd, since
  it's basically the same technology.

.

Anthony

Jun 16, 2024, 2:10:43 PMJun 16