Nov 28 2023 M9.8 short wave fade - Heliotown

ashc...@heliotown.com

Nov 28, 2023, 5:56:11 PM11/28/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Nov 28 2023. There was a M9.8 solar flare in the later 1900 UT hour that
manifested a short wave fade and some various types of solar radio
emissions including Type II slow drift bursts. Attached are a couple of
specimen spectrograms of the event. Thomas Ashcraft Lamy New Mexico
231128150741Heliotown-B.PNG
231128190150Heliotown.PNG
231128194839Heliotown-B.PNG

Nathaniel Butts

Nov 28, 2023, 6:36:18 PM11/28/23
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
Nice capture.  That's scary big though.
SDO capture of it.

Image 1 of 1

Thanks,

Nathan Butts
Wannabe Astronomer
Bowling Green, KY

Anthony

Nov 28, 2023, 11:01:20 PM11/28/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Very nice!!

My solar equipment is presently down for maintenance, and would have loved to capture the event!

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/aebbd6c3f3809e0823e1b9ebbaed29d0.squirrel%40emailmg.netfirms.com.

B & MR Randall

Nov 29, 2023, 9:09:43 AM11/29/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
What I got with single 1.8m dipole. I have a lot of local interference. Could still see the blackout & some of the flare.
First time I recorded a radio blackout.
Bruce Randall
23112819200_Solar.PNG

andrew....@googlemail.com

Nov 29, 2023, 4:49:08 PM11/29/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Do you think the attached plot represents a detection of this flare on my SID monitor or do these things not show up on SID monitors?

Andy

Is this detection M9.8 solar flare later 1900 hour 281123 on LRO UKRAA SID monitor 23-4KHz.png

ashc...@heliotown.com

Nov 29, 2023, 7:19:07 PM11/29/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Andy, I can't answer your question because I am not a VLF SID observer.
But hopefully someone here will help you. There is also a VLF email
group which is very helpful. Good luck. Thomas in New Mexico

> Hi,
>
> Do you think the attached plot represents a detection of this flare on my
> SID monitor or do these things not show up on SID monitors?
>
> Andy
>

> Sent from Outlook for Android <https://aka.ms/AAb9ysg>
>
> _____

Dr. Rich Russel

Nov 29, 2023, 8:08:45 PM11/29/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Andy,

It is not a flare.

Check out these videos to see what plots should look like.

Rich

Steve Berl

Nov 29, 2023, 10:00:20 PM11/29/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
SID events show up in VLF plots as a sharp rise in level, followed by a slow decay. Often referred to as a "shark fin" shape.

There are some examples in the videos Rich sent. You can also see some at
There's a ton of info, presentations, etc at https://solar-center.stanford.edu/SID/

Steve

--
-steve

Nathaniel Butts

Dec 1, 2023, 11:41:42 AM12/1/23
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
Looks like it reached a Kp7 from NOAA SWPC.  I heard of bright aurora as far south as Minneapolis, even overpowering light pollution.

Thanks,

Nathan Butts
Wannabe Astronomer
Bowling Green, KY