Scope_in_a_Box Feed Characterization

Alex P

Mar 17, 2023, 7:08:54 AM3/17/23
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
Has anyone run a curve on the 2.4GHz Feed ?

I have the 1.7GHz GOES Wx satellite variant.
Curves with Feed installed on reflector

GOES1_7GHzSWR.jpg

I regressed my system to the stock config and am getting very low HI vs Cold Sky values :  0.35 dB max at  Dec40 RA20:30  (  bright MW region )
( two days of tests = same results )

Thanks,
Alex   KK4VB

mike....@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2023, 8:48:36 AM3/17/23
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
I have just been working on a new scope in the box for the local observatory.
This is unmodified grid dish.
20230304_162038.jpg
20230304_161342.jpg

Mike Otte

Mar 17, 2023, 9:18:59 AM3/17/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Also did a drift scan of the sun. This is normal orientation  with the widest measurement horizontal.  I want to do one at 90 deg orientation but the weather is not cooperating.
This is a standard unmodified scope in the box .  It is aimed at the Sun at about -2 declination and 180 deg az.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/7a21e195-491e-4459-acb9-8d5e13332518n%40googlegroups.com.

--
Mike Otte W9YS
Sun_DriftScan.png

b alex pettit jr

Mar 17, 2023, 9:57:31 AM3/17/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Try capturing some data + 40 dg Dec, at Meridian, around 10AM-11AM  ( EDT )   ( +-  RA20:30 )
using IF Avg .. 5 min averages gave this as max

Vert Scale  = IF Avg ampl column processed by   20 * LOG10 ( Col Value )  + sufficient offset to make  Cold Sky = 0 dB

Inline image

Both feeds seem similar ..
Inline image

Thanks,
Alex

Marcus D. Leech

Mar 17, 2023, 11:31:48 AM3/17/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
On 17/03/2023 09:18, Mike Otte wrote:
Also did a drift scan of the sun. This is normal orientation  with the widest measurement horizontal.  I want to do one at 90 deg orientation but the weather is not cooperating.
This is a standard unmodified scope in the box .  It is aimed at the Sun at about -2 declination and 180 deg az.
That plot isn't horrible.

A *very* rough calculation indicates that your antenna "should" be seeing a ratio between cold-sky at peak sun of about
  1.47, whereas your graph shows about 1.38.  That's not horrible!

How did I calculate that?   Solar black-body at L-band (on average) is about 100,000K.   You'll only "see" half of that, so
  call it 50,000K.     Now, your beamwidth on the SIaB is about 15deg.  The sun is about 0.5deg.  The area ratio between those
  two is about 900:1.   So, your feed will "see":

50,000 / 900 = 55K

Now, if we assume Tsys is 100K, then this should produce "about" 1.47 ratio between "cold" and "peak sun".  This is necessarily
  somewhat hand-wavy since we don't know the exact Tsys in your system, we don't know how much spillover your antenna
  has, we're assuming 5K for the cold sky outside the Sun, etc.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/CA%2BG65tQ42fLmJ_6wkUM_28SWY1C6Xs9b3nCLhsz4aw62Ed1wpg%40mail.gmail.com.

B & MR Randall

Mar 17, 2023, 11:41:11 AM3/17/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com

Attached are some measurements from November 1920.  Dish and feed 1 shows poor return loss at 1420 MHz.  Dish and Feed 2 shows good return loss at 2400 MHz.

Pattern of feed at 1420 MHz has some reflections from my crude antenna range.   Note narrow E pattern which is not a bad match to dish in the larger direction.  The wide H patrtern is a poor fit to narrow direction on the dish.  This results in ground noise getting into dish and a loss in gain.  Test with a CFL work light around the edges of the dish show high undesired sensitivty at either edge of dish in the small direction.

For scope in a Box this is good enough to get usable results and does not involve a michine shop to make parts.  The very good sensativity of the SAWBird preamp and the FFT signal processing help with the dish weakness.

If you search back the Email group.  Alex did a lot of work on this   Alex's ring feed is considerably better than the WiFi feed.  His dish edge extensions lower ground noise a lot.  My attempts at an improved feed were not as good as Alex's.  I will tip my hat to him & refer you to his design.

Last 2 photos are inside of WiFi feed.

Bruce Randall

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.

image001.jpg
Dish_and_Feed1.png
Dish_and_Feed2.png
WiFi_Feed_1420.pdf
IMG_1124.JPG
IMG_1133.JPG

Mike Otte

Mar 17, 2023, 11:41:31 AM3/17/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Here is the CYG area of MW.

observatory is at about 90W longitude
This was a  scope in a box  drift scan of  CYG  and MW

As I showed on the previous post the  HPBW  beam width of the dish is about 1 hour  which would be 15 degs.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/1577843062.840354.1679061447163%40mail.yahoo.com.

--
Mike Otte W9YS
dec41CYG2_0072.txt

Mike Otte

Mar 17, 2023, 11:58:38 AM3/17/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
oops , i was sending pics , not text
--
Mike Otte W9YS
Figure 2023-03-15 162729 (72).png

b alex pettit jr

Mar 17, 2023, 12:00:45 PM3/17/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
AND,

Here is Your data plotted Looks Great .. What I do not understand is why my data is so low ..
This is comparable to the Photo_Umbrella ( post Mar7th )

Inline image

Alex

b alex pettit jr

Mar 17, 2023, 1:00:24 PM3/17/23
to 'b alex pettit jr' via Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
I can't account for the poor performance via installing the 1.7G feed on the para grid .. but the simple Umbrella looks great.
( Identical Electronics w/ the ScopeBox & Umbrella ... different feeds & reflectors )

SO, your data answers the question of how well the Umbrella  performs relative to the ScopeNBox

Alex

Inline image

b alex pettit jr

Mar 17, 2023, 5:44:08 PM3/17/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Hello Bruce,
Thanks for the photos
I am going to cut this GOES feed to WiFi and see how it performs at 21cm

GOES 1.7GHz
Inline image

Alex