SID hardware

bsn...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2024, 3:13:42 PM (5 days ago) Jul 10
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
Greetings...
Similar to Mathew George's post a few hours ago:

Does anyone have a preference for the SuperSid Monitor from Stanford Univ. versus the SID monitor from the UK Radio Astronomy Association??

Thanks for any thoughts....bill sneed....

Marcus D. Leech

Jul 10, 2024, 3:18:20 PM (5 days ago) Jul 10
to sara...@googlegroups.com
I'll note that sound cards that can sample 96ksps or even 192ksps are available these days, and you can actually just
  plug a tuned mag-loop antenna directly into the MIC input on such a card, and then with a bit of application of SDR,
  you can actually monitor multiple frequencies simultaneously.  I did this years and years ago myself.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/7d32980f-767b-49f4-b306-0885664591c3n%40googlegroups.com.

Anthony

Jul 10, 2024, 3:51:16 PM (5 days ago) Jul 10
to sara...@googlegroups.com
I have both the SuperSID and UKRAA SID monitor with dual magnetometers and prefer the SuperSID monitor.
Images attached of the Magnetometer setup using two LabJacks...

FinalLocation.jpg

I was making a comparison with the BGS Magnetic survey but of course my magnetometers only measure the field movement by aligning orthogonally, at 90 degrees to Earth's magnetic field.
So actually comparing to the BGS isn't but only for the angle of Declination D, by monitoring changes in the angle not the field strength.

The UKAA magnetometer, A axis is sensitive to changes in the angle of Inclination I and the B axis responds to changes of the Declination D. My reason for comparing Declination D with BGS Declination D angle.
Dual_Mag4.png

BGS
BGS_28-06-2024_A.PNG
BGS
BGS_28-06-2024.PNG

UKAA Magnetometer number 2
28-06-2024.PNG

UKAA Magnetometer number 1
28-06-2024.PNG

bsn...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2024, 9:02:15 AM (5 days ago) Jul 11
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
Thanks to you both...very clever Marcus, may give it a try just for the fun of it ....That is quite a setup Anthony, I'll go with the SuperSid.

Again, thanks...bill.....

Anthony

Jul 11, 2024, 6:40:16 PM (4 days ago) Jul 11
to sara...@googlegroups.com
You're welcome Bill.

My reasons for favoring the SuperSID over the UKAA SID are cost and performance.
Required:

  1. UKAA VLF Receiver
  2. UKAA VLF ATU (tuner)
  3. Signal Generator
  4. Power supply
  5. Coax cable
  6. Lab Jack
  7. Loop antenna
I originally had the VLF tuned for me several years ago, for NAA - Cutler, Maine USA.
The signal performance at 24kHz, with the UKAA VLF receiver was very weak even after using the ATU tuner. But, using the SuperSID signal strength seemed to work even in high noisy environments.
🙂The same loop antenna I tested on the VLF, worked fine for the SuperSID. There is always the possibility that I am not tuning the UKAA VLF receiver correctly.