UTD Scintpi

Nathaniel Butts

Jul 10, 2024, 2:20:21 PM (5 days ago) Jul 10
to sara...@googlegroups.com
During the western conference at the University Texas at Dallas this year, we were shown an interesting project that our host was working on using all band GPS receivers and a Raspberry Pi to record changes to the thickness of the ionosphere over time. The talk was great and they had some extra setups.  They graciously sent me one and I finally have it up and running.

Printed a mount and ran the cabling inside.
Not an ideal location, but the professors have confirmed that the data is good and coming in great. I’m still working on getting access to the data itself from their servers, and will pass it along as I receive any.

Nathan Butts
KQ4TIV
Wannabe Astronomer
Bowling Green, KY
IMG_1313.jpeg
IMG_1259.jpeg
IMG_1314.jpeg

JERRY TAYLOR

Jul 10, 2024, 2:28:03 PM (5 days ago) Jul 10
to sara...@googlegroups.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/CALq7QKy5Esq6jDyxMzui7uEs9Tvg7SVRfDRbfYqPGpsdhyZEfA%40mail.gmail.com.

JERRY TAYLOR

Jul 10, 2024, 2:29:08 PM (5 days ago) Jul 10
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Nathan,
Is there a video or description of this project?  Sounds interesting.

Jerry

On Wed, Jul 10, 2024 at 2:20 PM Nathaniel Butts <nathani...@gmail.com> wrote:

tedcl...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2024, 9:48:56 PM (3 days ago) Jul 12
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers

jpett...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2024, 10:00:20 PM (3 days ago) Jul 12
to sara...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the research, Ted!

Jonathan

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.

tedcl...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2024, 10:51:07 PM (3 days ago) Jul 12
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers

From my reading of Figure 7,
of that last URL,
I am guessing that we should focus on the red bubbles in the very bottom right graph of Nathan's first attachment plot.
That summary graph uses the "better" data from GPS satellites above 30 degrees elevation ?
The Y scale is increasing up, 0 to 1.0 with 0.2 ticks.
When the red bubbles are above 0.4, a Planetary K (Kp) event may have occurred ?
Neat !

Congratulations, Nathan, on recently earning your ham radio callsign !     KQ4TIV
Ham radio leads to so many other interesting worlds to explore.

---
Ted Cline   N0RQV
TedClineGit at gmail.com

Nathaniel Butts

Jul 15, 2024, 1:18:33 PM (11 hours ago) Jul 15
to sara...@googlegroups.com
The project measures scintillation of the ionosphere, which is tangential to what we do in amateur radio astronomy, especially in the SIDs section.  One aspect I liked about his talks is how they were able to:

1) compare measured values from the gps monitoring (SCINTPI) to experimental results for time of re-entry from dropping equal satellites in equal orbits and orbital velocities and,
2) Measuring solar radio bursts at high frequencies using ground based technology

We've known for decades that the ionosphere changes drastically as we bracket the solar maximum, but the physical aspects of orbital mechanics are extremely fascinating and entirely relevant for all earthlings, given the amount of junk floating in orbit.  With re entry period of large pieces of debris on a decade-long deorbiting plan, being able to accurately account for growth of the ionosphere and its effects are truly important.

I'm just giving up my latitude and some of my electricity for this endeavor, but maybe we can learn how to correlate the SCINTPI results with SIDs data and add that to the space weather missing......I love the smell of pipe dreams in the morning.

Thanks,

Nathan Butts
KQ4TIV
Wannabe Astronomer
Bowling Green, KY
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/a7dddf13-d587-4572-95d6-7bbce43bd60cn%40googlegroups.com.