Fast Radio Burst observed with the Astropeiler Stockert 25-m dish

fasleitung3

Apr 16, 2021, 12:31:13 PM4/16/21
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,
I am pleased to report that we have observed an extremely bright Fast
Radio Burst with our 25-m dish from the FRB20201124A. The event was
yesterday, and we have just published it through an Astronomers
Telegram: https://www.astronomerstelegram.org/?read=14556

You may want to read also the other telegrams related to this source
for some background information. It is worth noting that the pulse
observed has been exceptionally bright. It is certainly among the
brightest FRBs observed so far from all sources.

We are continuing observations to wee what comes next :-)
Best regards,
Wolfgang

Dr. Rich Russel

Apr 16, 2021, 12:32:59 PM4/16/21
to sara...@googlegroups.com, gca...@aol.com, rayube...@gmail.com
Congratulations!

Rich

Eduard Mol

Apr 16, 2021, 9:34:40 PM4/16/21
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations with this fantastic detection!

Op vr 16 apr. 2021 18:33 schreef 'Dr. Rich Russel' via Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers <sara...@googlegroups.com>:
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/193342934.1649055.1618590773970%40mail.yahoo.com.

Michiel Klaassen

Apr 16, 2021, 9:34:40 PM4/16/21
to sara-list
Dear  Wolfgang,

Congratulations with your result.
I was not surprised this would happen because we as amateurs have lots of time and we are not bound by pre-scheduled time tables.

It surprised me however that no other persons are mentioned; so it must have been lonely work.

I noticed that you mention "This pulse had a fluence of 334 Jy km/s (+/- 10%)" ; I only am familiar with Jy ms.

Another question is the "583 MHz spectral resolution" mentioned in the ATEL #14556. Is that correct?

Best Regards
Michiel

Op vr 16 apr. 2021 om 16:32 schreef 'Dr. Rich Russel' via Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers <sara...@googlegroups.com>:
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/193342934.1649055.1618590773970%40mail.yahoo.com.

Jon Wallace

Apr 16, 2021, 9:34:40 PM4/16/21
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Wolfgang,
Amazing news and congratulations! Thanks for sharing!
Jon

Jack Lobingier

Apr 17, 2021, 12:01:32 AM4/17/21
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
Wolfgang

Congratulations!

Hamish Barker

Apr 17, 2021, 9:25:48 AM4/17/21
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Well done!

Message has been deleted

fasleitung3

Apr 19, 2021, 8:27:06 AM4/19/21
to sara...@googlegroups.com
There is a typo, it should read Jy ms as you were suggesting. The ATel also has a typo where it should read kHz instead of MHz.
Things were done quickly and a more detailed analysis is onging.

Michiel Klaassen

Apr 20, 2021, 3:56:42 AM4/20/21
to sara-list
Hi Wolfgang,

Yes I thought so, well I have seen many astronomers telegrams from the pro's with corrections so you can do that too.
see for instance ATel #14328

As you know, I am also preparing the Sao Giao telescope in PT to capture FRB's. I have made some simulations and have written python scripts to do that.
My question is; can you share your captured data. This could help my learning curve. Your data is 100MHz wide and the pulse was 1.5ms, so the IQ pairs should be about 300KS. If time stamping is added then it would be more of course.
If it is too much to transfer I also can send you an empty data stick. I exchanged data with Peter East in the same way.

A well known radio astronomer (you know him too) once said to me that there is no use for single dishes anymore; that was before FRB's were found. Radio astronomy results surprise me every time.
Regards,
Michiel

Op ma 19 apr. 2021 om 12:27 schreef 'fasleitung3' via Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers <sara...@googlegroups.com>:
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/6603564085de75a2dabfcba0436ee1b3231dd5e6.camel%40googlemail.com.

fasleitung3

Apr 23, 2021, 1:19:56 PM4/23/21
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michiel,
I am afraid our raw data would be of little use to you. Our instrument captures two polarizations with 2 Gigasamples/s (which is oversampling) each. We do not record this raw data but rather a FFT is done on the fly in a FPGA so we end up with spectra every 218 microseconds (with the settings used for this observation).
Even if we would not oversample, we would need 100 Megasamples/s (complex data) for each polarization at this bandwidth.

Having said that, there is nothing special for FRB observations compared to pulsar observations. The only difference comes in the later analysis where you do not fold the data but rather look for single events. What I would suggest is to run observations on the crab pulsar. If everything is set up correctly you should be able to see the frequent giant pulses from this pulsar. This is the best way to check whether the tool chain is working as planned and wether you have sufficient sensitivity. You should be able to record many giant pulses per hour. If that is working ok, then you can try to get something whith the FRB. But keep in mind, we had one event in 90 hours of observation time. So it takes patience and look. Also, noone knows how long this FRB stays in an active state.
Best regards and good luck,
Wolfgang

Michiel Klaassen

Apr 25, 2021, 8:53:07 AM4/25/21
to sara-list
Dear Wolfgang,

It is a pity you cannot share your data with the scientific and amateur astronomy community.

Regards
Michiel

Op vr 23 apr. 2021 om 17:19 schreef 'fasleitung3' via Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers <sara...@googlegroups.com>:
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/6ffbef0ac334ac3a681acbaece8c787839458ce4.camel%40googlemail.com.