Re: [President] Pulsar research with the Pulsars Science Collaboarory and Greenbank (Sent by Tom Finkenbinder, founder@newedgeanalytics.net)

Dr. Rich Russel

Jun 20, 2024, 12:43:04 PMJun 20
to fou...@newedgeanalytics.net, SARA Listserv
Tom

There are a number of pulsar hunters in the group that can address your question.

I've forwarded your email on the SARA listserv forum so you can get some feedback.

Rich

SARA President

On Thursday, June 20, 2024 at 09:18:46 AM MDT, Contact form at Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers <webm...@radio-astronomy.org> wrote:

Tom Finkenbinder (fou...@newedgeanalytics.net) sent a message using the

greetings.. I'm working with Greenbank and the PSC grading plots. I'm a
semi-retired math and science teacher and I work with kids at our STEM
academy in Northern VA. I've got some specific questions about the data I'm
looking at with an Arecibo survey that PSC accesses. It takes a little too
long for me to figure out how to more or less immediately rule out something
that clearly looks like a pulse in a prepfold plot. I was a SARA member for a
little while. If it would benefit me to attend the eastern section annual
meeting in Greenbank I can rejoin and sign up for it. cheers. tf

jean pierre

Jun 20, 2024, 2:13:23 PMJun 20
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
Hello to all “SARA” subscribers
I am a newcomer to you:
a French amateur radio
Jean / F8ADI / who does radioastronomy on 1420 MHz
My regards to all...

Dan Layne

Jun 21, 2024, 1:21:48 PM (13 days ago) Jun 21
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
When I was grading PSC Arecibo pulsar plots last year I would read the 4 plots right to left. All four plots need to have positive indication to confirm a pulsar. Starting with DM on the right I would reject it if DM = 0 or if DM > Galactic Model DM for the particular RA/DEC. DM =0 means RFI. Both the DM value and plot (strong peak) need to be reasonable. Then I would go left to the freq-phase plot. If no broadband trace appears reject the whole thing. Next I would go to the time-phase plot. Same thing - no trace means reject the whole thing. Finally I would look at the pulse profile. It often seems like it might be a valid pulse, but is often just folded noise. Check the full prepfold plot for more detail if needed. If unsure you can always flag a plot as "maybe" and it will get looked at later. I did over 1,000 and did not see a single pulsar.

Marcus D. Leech

Jun 21, 2024, 1:29:41 PM (13 days ago) Jun 21
to sara...@googlegroups.com
On 21/06/2024 13:21, Dan Layne wrote:
When I was grading PSC Arecibo pulsar plots last year I would read the 4 plots right to left. All four plots need to have positive indication to confirm a pulsar. Starting with DM on the right I would reject it if DM = 0 or if DM > Galactic Model DM for the particular RA/DEC. DM =0 means RFI. Both the DM value and plot (strong peak) need to be reasonable. Then I would go left to the freq-phase plot. If no broadband trace appears reject the whole thing. Next I would go to the time-phase plot. Same thing - no trace means reject the whole thing. Finally I would look at the pulse profile. It often seems like it might be a valid pulse, but is often just folded noise. Check the full prepfold plot for more detail if needed. If unsure you can always flag a plot as "maybe" and it will get looked at later. I did over 1,000 and did not see a single pulsar.
This is similar to the (mostly) automated process I was using for about a year at our "blind" FRB survey at our
  Rideau Ferry field site, using a "bouquet" of modest-sized dishes.   Process at DM=0.  If there's something there, or it's
  decidedly higher SNR than anything else, discard the recording as RFI.

We had various stages of filtering, including an automated correlation analysis against a set of "template" FRB pulses.

In the year or so we ran the project, we'd have a few (3-5) candidate pulses every day, but NONE of them survived
  further analysis.

Le jeudi 20 juin 2024 à 18:43:04 UTC+2, Dr. Rich Russel a écrit :
[...]

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/5193f391-5c3b-4ad3-b1b2-fe65da845ea4n%40googlegroups.com.