Moon Drift Scan (first)

Job Geheniau

Apr 22, 2021, 7:02:29 PM4/22/21
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
Well, here it is, my first moon drift scan with 1.25 meter dish on 12.180 Ghz.

Only thing I say at this moment is ....pfffffff finally :-)

- 1.25 meter dish
- LNB
-Airspy mini
-SDR#
-Excel
Moon_Final_22april2021 copy.jpg

Job Geheniau

Apr 22, 2021, 7:03:44 PM4/22/21
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
Amazing, such 'a little' piece of rock and a little thermal radiation, that I can receive that...wonderfull!

Marcus D Leech

Apr 22, 2021, 10:22:13 PM4/22/21
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Nicely done.

I’ll comment that there appears to be a small amount of either non-linearity near the peak or perhaps some feed oddities, since it’s not quite the Gaussian curve you’d expect. But very close, for sure.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 22, 2021, at 7:03 PM, Job Geheniau <jobge...@gmail.com> wrote:

Amazing, such 'a little' piece of rock and a little thermal radiation, that I can receive that...wonderfull!
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/e4e087da-825e-4310-b797-d80ddd075156n%40googlegroups.com.

Paul Oxley

Apr 22, 2021, 10:27:32 PM4/22/21
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Marcus

Perhaps, the image was created by two different mechanisms. There would be both a thermal source from the temperature of the body and a reflected source from the surface.

Paul

Marcus D. Leech

Apr 22, 2021, 10:44:03 PM4/22/21
to sara...@googlegroups.com
On 04/22/2021 10:27 PM, Paul Oxley wrote:
Marcus

Perhaps, the image was created by two different mechanisms. There would be both a thermal source from the temperature of the body and a reflected source from the surface.

Paul
Reflection coefficient of the lunar surface is fairly poor, which is why EMErs use a modified path-loss equation to account for the
  additional loss caused by the poor reflectivity.

ALL the treatments I've seen for lunar radiometry from earth show that even at full moon, the thermal emissions vastly exceed
  the reflected emissions from the Sun.

Hamish Barker

Apr 23, 2021, 12:30:28 AM4/23/21
to sara...@googlegroups.com
Was the scan during full moon or now at half moon. The lit and unlit surfaces are presumably at quite different temperatures given the unlit ones have been in the shade for a couple of weeks while the lit surface might get a couple of hundred degrees hotter? I don't know what the surface thermal conductivity, heat capacity or relevant dust depth from which the thermal emissions come.

fasleitung3

Apr 23, 2021, 3:07:06 AM4/23/21
to sara...@googlegroups.com

Nicley done, Job.
Hamish, there is only little variation of the thermal radio emission from the moon at radio wavelenghts. This is explained by the fact that the emission comes from layers below the surface. At 3 cm wavelength, the apparent temperature varies between ~180K and ~200K, and there is a phase lage of a couple of days between full moon and the maximum of the radio emission. Those of you who own the book by Kraus will find a short section on this subject there.
The radio signal from the moon is completely dominated by thermal radiation. Reflected radio emission from the sun is negliable.
Best regards,
Wolfgang

Dave Typinski

Apr 23, 2021, 8:06:39 AM4/23/21
to sara...@googlegroups.com
This is also described well by Smith & Carr, Radio Exploration of the Planetary
System. On old book, but quite worth the time to read.
--
Dave

>>> --
>
> --
> --
> ---
> "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
> to sara-list+...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:sara-list+...@googlegroups.com>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/d3bea385bdd66991cde7006f2ba922896f7a66d0.camel%40googlemail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/d3bea385bdd66991cde7006f2ba922896f7a66d0.camel%40googlemail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

B & MR Randall

Apr 23, 2021, 1:19:56 PM4/23/21
to sara...@googlegroups.com

During the lunar eclipse of January 20, 2019 I took measurements of the moon at 12GHz with a 0.5 meter IBT.  The moon showed no noticeable change in radio flux during eclipse.  This tends to support the thermal origin of the moon's 12GHz flux level.

During the eclipse the ambient temperature change affected IBT calibration.  For every reading I compared the moon with cold sky 5 degrees north of the moon.

Measuring something you could look up with Google has a real satisfaction.  You also get to verify the scientist are not deceiving you!

Bruce Randall

Nicely done.

Image removed by sender. Moon_Final_22april2021 copy.jpg

--

~WRD000.jpg

kim hay

Apr 23, 2021, 1:19:56 PM4/23/21
to sara...@googlegroups.com
I will have to put that book on my uaed books list....if we ever get back too being able to ho into them.

Kim Hay

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/6082B84C.3000906%40typnet.net.

James Morris

Apr 23, 2021, 11:27:36 PM4/23/21
to sara...@googlegroups.com
This is great, and I know how difficult it is to get to this point from scratch.

It might be interesting to compare with a drift scan of the sun, which is similar angular size visually but very different at 12GHz.

James W7TXT

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.

Job Geheniau

Apr 24, 2021, 5:57:52 AM4/24/21
to Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers
I will try that in near future

fasleitung3

Apr 24, 2021, 6:56:39 AM4/24/21
to sara...@googlegroups.com
There is a similar experiment described at https://sat-sh.lernnetz.de/pdf/LunarEclipse.pdf where the observation has been performend at several frequencies. The authors experience is just the same: There is no noticable change during a lunar eclipse.
Enjoy reading,
Wolfgang