Santa Cruz Fiber

James Hackett

Jul 13, 2015, 12:32:04 PM7/13/15
to santacr...@googlegroups.com, James Hackett
Happy Monday all,

I’m sure you’ve all heard about this by now, but I just wanted to shoot a note out to this list about Santa Cruz Fiber. In short, the City of Santa Cruz and Cruzio are exploring the possibility of building a city-wide Fiber-To-The-Premise network that would provide Gigabit broadband service to as many of the 22,000 address within the City as possible. It’s an audacious plan, and to pull it off we need residents of Santa Cruz to show their support.

All that means right now is go to fiber.cruzio.com and fill out short survey expressing interest. Tell everyone you know! We really need to measure the level of interest in this project.

A Gigabit fiber network be an enormous boon to the economy and our plan to cover as close to 100% of the City as possible, and provide a service with a price comparable to current Internet services, is a project that the community can really feel good about and rally behind.

A few tears ago, as a group, we went after the original Google fiber offer. This is even better — a fiber network built by Santa Cruz, for Santa Cruz, and owned by the community! There are a handful of cities in the country with this kind of service, and none that we’ve found who are looking to cover every parcel in the way we and the City propose.

If you want to read more, check out the article on Tech Beat:

And please feel free to contact us directly to ask more questions or help out. This could be a real game-changer for Santa Cruz.

Thanks Geeks!

James

James Hackett
Director of Business Operations & Development

Sean Tario

Jul 14, 2015, 11:20:02 PM7/14/15
to santacr...@googlegroups.com, James Hackett

This would be AWESOME for the City and County. Santa Clara and San Leandro have both made this happen and work to the benefit of all involved.

Curious what the ownership interest would be of said network between the city and Cruzio? Who manages and controls access/distribution?

How much would this cost the city to roll out? What are the rough timelines you're pushing for? How much interest do you need to start pulling triggers... So many questions!

Sean Patrick Tario
408-482-9953

George Shackelford

Jul 14, 2015, 11:54:58 PM7/14/15
to santacr...@googlegroups.com
Wow!

I have been interested in fiber, but I'm just out of Cruzio's range.  I'm tired of paying money to ATT esp. since they charge for using "extra" bandwidth!  If the service is built in scale, it would be quite affordable.

George

Anthony Ettinger

Jul 15, 2015, 1:05:33 AM7/15/15
to santacr...@googlegroups.com
I just got my ATT down to 48/month for 45/6

James Hackett

Jul 16, 2015, 5:36:25 PM7/16/15
to santacr...@googlegroups.com, James Hackett
Hi Sean,

Thanks for the encouragement, great questions. We’re still finalizing the operational details but the network will be owned by the City of Santa Cruz. Pre-engineering and cost estimates are still being worked out too, but initial reports have the total cost somewhere between $30-$50 million. Initial construction will be paid using a lease revenue bond, ongoing build out and maintenance will be funded by revenue generated by the network.

Our goal is to offer Gigabit service at around the same price folks are currently paying for DSL or cable service.

There’s no specific number of responses we need to pull the trigger but we need as many people as possible to go to fiber.cruzio.com and express their interest. This market research will help inform City Council’s decision to fully green light the project in September.

James

Todd Schafer

Jul 16, 2015, 7:10:47 PM7/16/15
to santacr...@googlegroups.com, James Hackett
James,
One question i have is why is Live Oak not listed on the fiber.cruzio.com site?

Todd Schafer - Designer/Web Developer

Darren @ Odden Creative

Jul 16, 2015, 7:14:09 PM7/16/15
to Todd Schafer, santacr...@googlegroups.com, James Hackett
Live Oak is unincorporated… This appears to be a City of project.

--
Darren @ Odden Creative
Sent with Airmail

Todd Schafer

Jul 16, 2015, 7:17:10 PM7/16/15
to santacr...@googlegroups.com, James Hackett
What does City of project mean?

Todd Schafer - Designer/Web Developer
p: 831.464.7848 | c: 345.5563
to...@schaferdesign.net
http://SchaferDesign.net
__________________________

You can also find me socially here:
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tschaferdesign
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SchaferDesignSantaCruz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/tschaferdesign

On Jul 16, 2015, at 4:13 PM, Darren @ Odden Creative wrote:

> Live Oak is unincorporated… This appears to be a City of project.
>
> --
> Darren @ Odden Creative
> Sent with Airmail
>
> From: Todd Schafer <to...@schaferdesign.net>
> Reply: santacr...@googlegroups.com <santacr...@googlegroups.com>>
> Date: July 16, 2015 at 4:10:48 PM
> To: santacr...@googlegroups.com <santacr...@googlegroups.com>>
> Cc: James Hackett <oja...@ruby.cruzio.com>>
> Subject: Re: [santacruzgeeks] Santa Cruz Fiber
>
>> James,
>> One question i have is why is Live Oak not listed on the fiber.cruzio.com site?
>>
>> <B67065B5-5559-44A6-93BC-9A90856AB393@Home>

James Hackett

Jul 16, 2015, 7:19:20 PM7/16/15
to santacr...@googlegroups.com, James Hackett
Hi Todd,

Because unfortunately Live Oak doesn’t fall within the City limits and this is a partnership with the City of Santa Cruz. We’re getting a lot of questions from folks in other areas of the County, and it’s great to see the overwhelming support for broadband growth. We plan to cover more areas in the future, but this particular project only covers Santa Cruz City.

James

On Jul 16, 2015, at 4:10 PM, Todd Schafer <to...@schaferdesign.net> wrote:

James,
One question i have is why is Live Oak not listed on the fiber.cruzio.com site?

<sd-logo-2015.jpg>