Adyatana Subhashita

Janesh

Feb 3, 2008, 11:06:05 PM2/3/08
ruupayauvanasaMpannaa vishaalakulasaMbhavaaH |
vidyaahiinaa na shobhante nirgandhaa ki.nshukaa iva ||

They who have charm and youthfulness, born in great family, yet without education they do not shine, as the kimshuka tree (the tree Butea frondosa which bears beautiful red blossoms) which has beauty but no fragrance.

Janesh

Feb 6, 2008, 1:30:50 AM2/6/08
pustakasyaa tu yaa vidyaa, parahastagataM dhanam.h |
kaaryakaale samutpanne, na saa vidyaa na taddhanam.h ||

Knowledge that is in the books in (our) shelves, and (our) money now in the hands of others - both have something in common.
When time comes for their use neither that knowledge nor that wealth will be available.

Janesh

Feb 8, 2008, 2:27:05 AM2/8/08
bhaashhaasu mukhyaa madhuraa, divyaa girvaaNa bhaaratii |
tasmaadbhiH kaavyaM madhuraM, tasmaadapi subhaashhitam.h ||

Among the main languages, the resplendent, ancient, language sanskrit is very melodious (sweet).
Sweeter is a poem in it, and even sweeter is a subhashita (old-sayings) form.