A universal subhAShita database.

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Mar 25, 2017, 9:12:12 PM3/25/17
to sanskrit-programmers
Here's a head's up about a forthcoming project (extracted from README.md) - For now, I request this list to pay close attention to the technical choices and point out mistakes and alternatives :

Goal

We've set out to build a database of subhAShita​ -s which is:

  • Universal
    • Its goal is to contain within it every worthy subhAShita ever composed.
    • In fact, the ambition encompasses all languagesverse and prose forms.
  • Freely and easily available. Anyone should be able to
    • Access it
    • Export it in other formats
    • Present it in any way users will find convenient.
      • Eg. the upcoming [subhAShita-pratimAlA] app project.
  • Growing constantly in number
    • sarasvatI still suckles some amongst us at her bosom!
  • Growing constantly in annotations/ ratings
    • add annotations (rating, description, translations, metre, flaws, sources ...)

Technical choices

  • Use Nosql rather than a relational database as the primary canonical database.
    • Reasons (from here ):
      • The need to develop with agility
        • Simplicity (less need to join n tables)
        • Flexibility (schema can easily be changed)
      • distributed nature: ability to operate at any scale.
        • Database copies can sync with each other easily - no centralization is good.
    • Current favorite : Couchbase database, since it can be used in many mobile OS-s.
  • Scala for the ingestion libraries (same justification as expressed here ).

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Mar 25, 2017, 9:15:10 PM3/25/17
to sanskrit-programmers
One of the quandaries I have:
* Would it be possible to host such a database reliably & fast somewhere for free or are we stuck with just publishing a non-live periodically updated copy.
Vishvas /विश्वासः

Vasu Srinivasan

Mar 26, 2017, 8:42:49 AM3/26/17
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com
vishvAsa varya

uttamA yojanA ArabdhA | mayaa api saahayyam kartum shakyate, yataH ciraad asmin viShayee (kaschana bRhat subhAShita sangrahaH) aashaktiH mama |

havent thought of alternatives yet (but will do), but some "use cases" could be:

- api based approach
- keywords search, both unicode and ascii/multiple translit schemes

about hosting:

- AWS or similar cloud service ?

Regards,
Vasu Srinivasan

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Mar 26, 2017, 10:38:10 AM3/26/17
to sanskrit-programmers
mayaa api saahayyam kartum shakyate, yataH ciraad asmin viShayee (kaschana bRhat subhAShita sangrahaH) aashaktiH mama |
अहो
​ शोभनम्! आयातु भवान् अपि। भावत्कं गिट्-हब्-नाम किम्?​

havent thought of alternatives yet (but will do), but some "use cases" could be:

- api based approach
​web-api ननु? ​
शोभनो
​ विचारः। तदप्यस्तु।​

- keywords search, both unicode and ascii/multiple translit schemes
​not just that, subhAShita-s should be disambiguated for spaces, anusvAra-s, daNDa-s, avagraha-s​, sandhi-s

Ramanathan Sharma

Apr 25, 2017, 2:18:23 PM4/25/17
to sanskrit-programmers
We have to simplify things as much as possible. Why not have all the subhashitas in markdown files within the repo and use HTML/JS page to display in a word formatted way in a Github page. Everything is free and open source! They can text search subhashitas and Google will index it too so anyone Googling can also come there.

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Apr 25, 2017, 9:28:04 PM4/25/17
to sanskrit-programmers

Why not have all the subhashitas in markdown files within the repo and use HTML/JS page to display in a word formatted way in a Github page. Everything is free and open source! They can text search subhashitas and Google will index it too so anyone Googling can also come there.

​Oh be my guest! That already exists. We don't intend to type new subhashitas from books one by one (atleast not now).​ See the 10k+ here https://github.com/sanskrit-coders/subhAShita-db-sanskrit/tree/master/mUlAni (and there is lots more not present there online).

​But, we're ​not satisfied with that due to reasons stated in the README file, which I reproduce below:

Motivation

  • One of the greatest (and useful) pleasures I've had in tough times is retreat for a while into the world of beautiful subhAShita-s - and then burst back out like the vRtraghna armed with dadhIchi's bones.
  • I especially like online collections curated by some friends and myself:
    • since a book is not always available, and
    • I want to collect + easily access choice ones for future enjoyment.
  • But it is tedious (atleast for me) to sit in front of a computer to do the following:
    • read them,
    • or scour the internet for new ones
    • or collect favorites in a spreadsheet
    • or just annotate them with comments.
  • So, it is desirable to:
    • make the above as simple and easy as possible,
    • and to share our collective labor so that we can benefit more easily from each others' work.

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Jun 26, 2022, 12:00:28 AM6/26/22
to sanskrit-programmers

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)