Re: Apte dictionary: compounds as full words

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Jul 8, 2024, 10:33:20 AM (14 days ago) Jul 8
to sumant, K Nagabhushana Rao आन्ध्रभारतीकृत्, sanskrit-programmers
(cc mailing list, kNR)

This is very useful - please carry on.
nAgabhUShaNa rAv of AndhrabhArati (cc-ed) may have done something similar and may have feedback.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sumanthegde/apte-uncompress/a598fb1e467a9784c12a440cca350a046a2a26bd/apteDir.nosync/output/table.txt may be easier to open than the spreadsheet you shared.

On Mon, 8 Jul 2024 at 19:18, sumant <suman...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

For some time I have been working on parsing Apte's dictionary.

It’s been a fun project, and I thought it might interest you since, some time last year, I asked on the Google Groups about the availability of a compound-expanded version of Apte's dictionary, and you were kind enough to provide input.

In the present project, the dictionary is treated as a list of recursively structured objects (aka Terms).

While the work isn’t complete, I felt this was a good point to draw the attention of people active in the field. The code can now generate full compound words and annotate them with location information from the dictionary. I’ve uploaded the data to a Google Spreadsheet, and it would be great if you could take a look! Three-word compounds are still missing, but the jump to include them is not far off. I’m more interested in ensuring there are no spurious or incorrect entries (for example, संधि/णत्व/षत्व mistakes).

The larger goal is, of course, to fully parse the dictionary to make it computationally more accessible. I’m looking forward to your feedback!

Sumant

Vishvas /विश्वासः

sumant

Jul 21, 2024, 2:58:48 AM (yesterday) Jul 21
to विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki), K Nagabhushana Rao आन्ध्रभारतीकृत्, sanskrit-programmers

Thanks for the shoutout! I also appreciate the link you provided, I wasn’t aware of that feature.

To put it to some use, I’ve created a Chrome extension designed to make searching Apte's dictionary online more efficient. Here’s how we can use it:

1. Add the "Apte Dictionary Compound Search" extension to Chrome. (It's new, so Chrome may throw a warning. But I assure you it is safe!)

2. Go to Cologne's Apte Dictionary Search portal.

3. A new textbox labeled "Autocomplete:-->" will appear right under the existing "Sanskrit Word" textbox. Type your query in Devanagari here. (See screenshot)

4. Suggestions will drop down as you type. Select one of them by clicking on it (or via Up/Down arrow keys + Enter). The extension will then submit the appropriate headword to the server for you.

For example, if you type "गुर्व", a suggestion like "गुर्वर्थ" will appear. The headword is "गुरु", and once you select "गुर्वर्थ," the extension will submit "गुरु" to the server. The server will then return a list of words derived from "गुरु," including "गुर्वर्थ," along with their meanings.

I’d love to get feedback from those who already use the portal, and everyone else is encouraged to try it out as well!

Sumant
Screenshot 2024-07-20 at 9.46.50 PM.png