Problem typing devanagri on mac os

Lokesh Sharma

Jan 7, 2021, 6:05:13 AM1/7/21
to sanskrit-programmers
नमोनमः

I never had a problem with typing devanagri in linux, windows or android but with mac os I'm facing a problem. The problem is that whenever I press the halant mark (with button D) I get 2 halants instead of 1. Is anyone facing the same problem who is using mac?

For example to type क्त I would normally press button ‌K, D and L but doing this on mac results in क््त As you can see क got 2 halants instead of 1.

धन्यवादः

Raj Kombiyil

Jan 7, 2021, 6:16:29 AM1/7/21
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com
Which keyboard layout are you using? On GNU/Linux using ibus (ITRANS) I use k+t+a to make क्त . You might want to change key presses according to layout.

"When we act with an attitude of surrender and devotion, it will bear the best fruit. But do not confuse your mind thinking of the fruit." -- Amma

Lokesh Sharma

Jan 7, 2021, 6:20:24 AM1/7/21
to sanskrit-programmers
Using the default one which comes with mac os. I didn't install anything

image.png

Sachi R. Sachidananda

Jan 7, 2021, 6:22:51 AM1/7/21
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com
this mac problem is on web apps. on native apps like Pages doesn't happen. this seems to be a mac+web problem. so you have to delete that unwanted character and go ahead.

Sachi
via OnePlus 7T

Raj Kombiyil

Jan 7, 2021, 6:26:55 AM1/7/21
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com

Lokesh Sharma

Jan 7, 2021, 7:01:54 AM1/7/21
to sanskrit-programmers
Yes Sachi ji, you are right. I just noticed it now, The problem is only when I type on web (chrome), typing on other apps its working fine. But still I need a solution for this as the typing becomes very slow because of this bug.

Sachi R. Sachidananda

Jan 7, 2021, 7:29:43 AM1/7/21
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com
Please do this workaround:
Type in any Note or Word kind of app.
Copy
Paste into web

Sachi
via OnePlus 7T

Anunad Singh

Jan 7, 2021, 10:25:42 AM1/7/21
to sanskrit-programmers
I have never used Mac but have faced similar problems on linux and windows when two input methods are simultaneously active. For example, suppose I am writing on Wikipedia and Wikipedia's input Devanagari is selected (active) and at the same time an add-on transliteration program is also active in my Firefox browser . Similarly, if the IME installed on windows is active in Devanagari mode and the Wikipedia input Devanagari is also active, it can happen. In some special cases I have found that EACH character is doubled.

Lokesh Sharma

Jan 8, 2021, 10:54:06 PM1/8/21
to sanskrit-programmers
Thank you all for your insights.

I just noticed something, this only happens on Google Chrome. The typing works fine in Firefox and Safari. I can easily switch to other browsers. I will report this problem to Google Chrome.

Thank you once again for your help. Without you it wouldn't have been possible. I was stuck on this for months.

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Jan 9, 2021, 2:53:25 AM1/9/21
to sanskrit-programmers
typing on google Chrome vs firefox - same experience in Arch linux etc.. been that way for many years

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः

Jan 10, 2021, 7:25:09 AM1/10/21
to sanskrit-programmers
I use a keyboard layout created by myself and have never faced any problem on Mac OS.

lalitaalaalitah,
www.lalitaalaalitah.com

Sachi R. Sachidananda

Jan 10, 2021, 10:54:24 AM1/10/21
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com
It would be great if you can teach us how to map your own Devanagari keyboard, Lalitaalaalitah!

Sachi
via OnePlus 7T

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Oct 29, 2021, 9:43:48 PM10/29/21
to sanskrit-programmers
आर्य ललितालालित - need to set up a mac (not used to macs) - can you share your layout + instructions for setup?

Vishvas /विश्वासः

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः

Oct 29, 2021, 10:59:37 PM10/29/21
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com
श्रीमल्ललितालालितः

Prasanna Venkatesh

Oct 29, 2021, 11:02:42 PM10/29/21
to sanskrit-programmers
विश्वासवर्य, (If you didn't already know) LipikaIME can also be used for typing Devanagari in MacOS. I had used it for a year (when I had a Mac). It was very good.

LipikaIME a user-configurable, phonetic, Input Method Engine for Mac OS X with built-in support for the Bengali, Devanagari, Gujarati, Gurmukhi, Hindi, Kannada, Malayalam, Oriya, Tamil and Telugu scripts, as well as the ISO-15919 romanisation scheme. It can also output IPA for Sanskrit and Tamil. It includes support for ITRANS, Baraha, Harvard Kyoto, Barahavat and Ksharanam transliteration schemes.

Lokesh Sharma

Oct 30, 2021, 2:34:09 AM10/30/21
to sanskrit-programmers
I prefer to use Inscript keyboard (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/InScript_keyboard) because it's a standard keyboard well know and readily available in all platforms including Android, Mac, Linux and Windows without having to install any 3rd party software. I can share the details if one is interested on how to set it up in Linux and Macos. For windows I already created a blog post https://lokeshh.medium.com/how-to-install-sanskrit-keyboard-in-windows-10-62fa3d784d8a

Lokesh Sharma

Oct 30, 2021, 3:22:14 AM10/30/21
to sanskrit-programmers
Just wrote a tutorial on how to install Inscript keyboard on MacOS https://lokeshh.medium.com/how-to-install-sanskrit-keyboard-in-macos-aecb0b2c184

उज्ज्वल राजपूत

Oct 30, 2021, 7:48:05 AM10/30/21
to sanskrit-programmers
सा॒धु लो॑केशमहोदय! सव्ँव॑दति मे॒ मनो॒ऽ॒स्मिन् वि॑ष॒ये भ॑व॒दीये॑न।

शनिवार, 30 अक्तूबर 2021 को 12:04:09 pm UTC+5:30 बजे lokeshh...@gmail.com ने लिखा: