sandhi rules in python

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Jun 30, 2022, 1:37:31 PM6/30/22
to sanskrit-programmers, sch...@brown.edu, अम्बा ambA kulkarNikulA sAngaNakA
"  In addition, although I had previously implemented पाणिनिan sandhi rules computationally in a Pascal program that was since translated into Perl, C++, Java, and Python, and also had formalized the root list (धातुपाठ), " says  Peter Scharf at https://www.indicasoftpower.com/understanding-of-syntactic-structure-should-adopt-the-procedure-of-indian-grammarians-professor-peter-scharf/ .

I am curious to see the python and java implementations of these sandhi rules - could someone point to it?

And also -

"it was during this year of my appointment in Paris that I launched an endeavor to formalize पाणिनि’s entire linguistic system including all 4,000 rules of the अष्टाध्यायी.  I completed the task in 2015 with the assistance of two dedicated scholars of पाणिनिan grammar who had just received their doctorates at IIT Bombay, Drs. Tanuja and Anuja Ajotikar."

Where to see this? What does formalization mean here?

Vishvas /विश्वासः

Avinash L Varna

Jun 30, 2022, 1:47:40 PM6/30/22
to sanskrit-programmers, sch...@brown.edu, अम्बा ambA kulkarNikulA sAngaNakA
> I am curious to see the python and java implementations of these sandhi rules - could someone point to it?

I believe it might be referring to this - https://www.sanskritlibrary.org/software/paniniSandhi.html

Hrishikesh Terdalkar

Jun 30, 2022, 3:20:43 PM6/30/22
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com, sch...@brown.edu, अम्बा ambA kulkarNikulA sAngaNakA
Namaste,

I am not sure about the Pascal program by Peter Scharf, but a while back I had converted the Perl-based Sandhi module available in Samsaadhanii (UoHyd SCL) to Python.
I have made it available at: https://github.com/hrishikeshrt/sandhi

Regards,
Hrishkesh

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Jun 30, 2022, 9:04:25 PM6/30/22
to sanskrit-programmers, अम्बा ambA kulkarNikulA sAngaNakA
Thanks. Another interesting article - https://blogs.iiit.ac.in/peter-scharf/ .

Does anyone have email id of Peter? The Brown id I found on Google does not work.

Irene Galstian

Jul 1, 2022, 12:50:05 AM7/1/22
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Jul 1, 2022, 1:28:10 AM7/1/22
to sanskrit-programmers, sch...@sanskritlibrary.org
+ पीतरार्य - अधोवर्तिषु भवत्समाधानम् ईमहे।

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Jul 1, 2022, 8:57:59 PM7/1/22
to sanskrit-programmers
(Below relevant info from P Scharf)

On Sat, 2 Jul 2022 at 00:11, Peter Scharf <sch...@sanskritlibrary.org> wrote:
I’m sorry.
The python version is not available on the web at this time.
The papers are published in the indicated volumes.  They are not available on the web.
The XML formalization is not public.

******************************
Peter M. Scharf, President
The Sanskrit Library
******************************

On 1 Jul 2022, at 9:55 AM, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki) <vishvas...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, 1 Jul 2022 at 20:10, Peter Scharf <sch...@sanskritlibrary.org> wrote:
The Java version of my sandhi program is available at the following link:
https://sanskritlibrary.org/software/paniniSandhi.html

Thanks- can you tell me where to get the python version?

Articles describing my formalization of Panini’s grammar are the fillowing:
  1. Scharf, Peter M. “Modeling Pāṇinian grammar.” Sanskrit computational linguistics: first and second international symposia, Rocquencourt, France, October 2007; Providence, RI, USA, May 2008; Revised selected and invited papers, ed. Gérard Huet, Amba Kulkarni, and Peter Scharf; pp. 95–126. Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence 5402. Berlin; Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, 2009. http://sanskrit.inria.fr/ Symposium/Program.html.
  2. Scharf, Peter M. “An XML formalization of the Aṣṭādhyāyī.” Sanskrit and computational linguistics: Select papers presented at the 16th World Sanskrit Conference in the `Sanskrit and the IT world’ section 28 June – 2 July 2015, Sanskrit Studies Center, Silpakorn University, Bangkok, edited by Amba Kulkarni, pp. 77–102. New Delhi: D. K. Publishers, 2016.
  3. Tanuja Ajotikar, Anuja Ajotikar, and Peter M. Scharf. “Some issues in formalizing the Aṣṭādhyāyī.” Sanskrit and computational linguistics: Select papers presented in the `Sanskrit and the IT world’ section at the 16th World Sanskrit Conference 28 June – 2 July 2015, Sanskrit Studies Center, Silpakorn University, Bangkok, edited by Amba Kulkarni, pp. 103–124. New Delhi: D. K. Publishers, 2016.

Could you send me copies of papers 2 and 3? I could not find them by googling.

Also, can you send me xml with all these formally represented rules ?

Thanks for your interest.
Yours,
Peter Scharf

Peter M. Scharf, President