Hello! Nice to meet everyone

Armando Di Cianno

Nov 18, 2021, 9:35:38 PM11/18/21
to SanPietroAvellana
Hello everyone. I'm Armando DiCianno.

I just joined the group. I came across Mark DiVecchio's silogic.com pages some time ago (c.2007) when I was last looking into family history, and came across this Google Group tonight. This page in particular - http://www.silogic.com/genealogy/Oreste%20diCianno.html -- references my family name (although the data is a little rough).

A little background about me ... my parents are Giovanni (John) DiCianno and Anna DiBlasio. They came over to the US separately in the 50s, moved to the Cleveland, OH area where they met, married, and had a family. (Dad was from SPA. Mom was from Casacalenda, Molise, not SPA.) My sister is named Elvira but has always gone by Vera. She's still in the Cleveland area. My grandmother was named Elvira. My grandfather -- who died in Italy in the 40s -- was (you guessed it) named Armando. I'm no longer in the Cleveland area, and I currently live in Western Massachusetts.

I'm not 100% sure what year my dad came over, but I do know that he preceded his sisters (Valeria and Sylvia) and mother (Elvira) coming over by about 1 year. Valeria and Sylvia are also still in the Cleveland, OH area.

My father passed away in 2015.

If anyone would like to connect or discuss more, I'd be happy to. I know that seemingly no matter where we traveled to, my dad had cousins!

Cheers,
__armando

Mark DiVecchio

Nov 18, 2021, 10:12:54 PM11/18/21
to SanPietroAvellana
Good to hear from you. One of the things we do around here is collect cousins and I figure there are 5-10 times more descendants from SPA living in the US than ever lived in SPA itself.

My big SPA family tree  shows diCianno who lived in Salem, OH, Boardman, OH and Parma Heights, OH. as well as a bunch who lived
in Beaver County, PA (New Brighton, Beaver Falls and New Galilee) and Lawrence County, PA (Wampum, and Ellwood City). Maybe all close cousins to you. Then there are a bunch out west in Utah and Nevada.

So to help with your first questions, I searched on ancestry.com and I think I found Giovanni coming to the US on 7 Apr 1956 and Elvira, Valeria and Sylvia coming over on 18 Jul 1956. Giovanni was going to Willoughby, OH.

I've attached those manifests for you.

ciao, Mark
1956 07 18 - Elvira, Valeria and Sylvia diCianno, New York Arrival via TWA.jpg
1956 04 07 - Giovanni diCianno, New York arrival, Willoughby, OH.jpg

Armando Di Cianno

Nov 18, 2021, 11:30:17 PM11/18/21
to Mark DiVecchio, SanPietroAvellana
Mark,

Thanks for sending those images. That's him! Interesting that their trips were only a few months apart -- I had that remembered wrong for a long time.

I'm unaware of the DiCiannos that live in PA. I know there were relatives in the Youngstown area (Salem, Boardman), but as a younger kid, I never really picked up on last names but I don't recall other DiCiannos, specifically. However, I am aware of the DiCiannos in Utah and Nevada. I know that before I was born in 1980 -- I'm probably on the younger end of the spectrum of children of those who came over in the 50s, born in the 30s -- my mom, dad, and sister (who was born in '67) visited Ely, NV and met with relatives.

The little I recall from my Dad's stories, I believe he had cousin's in Willoughby, OH, which is probably why it was his destination. In the short term, I believe he did live there, but then eventually moved to Cleveland Heights after getting married. In the longer term, he and his sisters ended up not far from there and each other, living in Richmond Heights and Highland Heights.

__armando

Carmen DiGiacomo

Nov 19, 2021, 10:44:17 AM11/19/21
to Armando Di Cianno, Mark DiVecchio, SanPietroAvellana

Armando, glad you jumped into this wonderful site with both feet. See the attached chart.  You will note that I have diCianno in roots on grandfather Carmine Emiddio DiGiacomo ’s side. I don’t know if there is a connection there for you but I throw it out there.

Mark, those images you sent are amazing. What caught my eye was the passengers on the Cristoforo Colombo by the name of D’ANDREA who were headed to Pittsburgh. I don’t know how familiar you are with the Italian/American community in Pittsburgh, but not too long ago the Italian Consul in Pittsburgh was Joseph D’ANDREA. Don’t know if there is a family connection there since the name is common in this area, but I would not be surprised. Joe was born in Roccamandolfi, Molise in 1929 and immigrated to the USA in 1948. While he was Italian Consul he helped me get my grandparents (Carmine & Cristina Colarosa) marriage documents from Italy.

Great info Mark & Armando. Thanks for sharing and Happy Thanksgiving.  Ciao, Carmen D.

img590.jpg