Release notes, documentation, oh my!

Stephen Sadowski

Sep 11, 2018, 8:26:44 AM9/11/18
to Sanic Task Force
Hi All,

So 0.8.1 is on pypi, but the docs and release notes still reflect 0.7.0

It's one of my great pet peeves when things like this happen and it is my general opinion that a release should not be cut (in most cases) without at least a plan/timeline in place to update the correlated documentation and release notes.

I'd like to get outside perspective and see if my thinking is sensible or if that's just the way things are and I shouldn't fuss too much about it.

Adam Hopkins

Sep 11, 2018, 7:35:24 PM9/11/18
to Sanic Task Force
I agree. I think this is something that a release procedure should have in  place: a good methodology for the team to document what needs to be added to documentation changes and release notes. If this moves into forward, I think it is important to detail how a PR gets merged and what steps it needs to go thru (including testing and documentation) before it can get added to a release.

I'd be happy to throw out my two cents on a possible structure.... but I'm still waiting to hear back from channelcat and crew as to how they would like to proceed. I don't want to assume anything yet.

--
Adam Hopkins

Sep 11, 2018, 3:26 PM by stephen....@gmail.com:

Stephen Sadowski

Richard Kuesters

Sep 14, 2018, 12:11:04 PM9/14/18
to Stephen Sadowski, sani...@googlegroups.com

I think it was said in the another thread to have a trigger to build the docs on each change (Andy, right?). May I add to work with two separate branches on git to do that as well? One, master, will reflect the last published version to PyPI and dev (or develop or current or anything related) which reflects the in-progress next release. I think most of you are aware of this concept (either using git-flow or any other concept that skip my mind right now).

Just my two cents to prevent unaware users on trying something still on development but not released (yet).

I think I'll have more time over the weekend to see some of the issues and action plans 😉

Cheers,

Richard @ vltr

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 10:37 AM Stephen Sadowski <stephen....@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Stephen Sadowski

Sep 14, 2018, 12:28:17 PM9/14/18
to sani...@googlegroups.com
When I was going through and building the changelog - it seems like there should already be webhooks in place for updating the docs. I think @seemethere is handling that as he works on the documentation.

Richard Kuesters

Sep 14, 2018, 12:31:40 PM9/14/18
to Stephen Sadowski, sani...@googlegroups.com
Nice to hear! I'll see what I can do to help during the weekend ;-)

Adam Hopkins

Sep 15, 2018, 1:50:47 PM9/15/18
to Sanic Task Force
I generally favor the approach of not merging anything to master until release time. But I also would like to see a structured release schedule with each release having its own dev branch (see my proposal below).

Then, master is the current release on pypi available if we need to make a hot fix. If it is an LTS version, then we also make a branch for that.
--
Adam Hopkins

Sep 14, 2018, 7:10 PM by rkue...@gmail.com:

Andy Xu

Sep 15, 2018, 2:34:33 PM9/15/18
to Sanic Task Force

Hey, I agree in general, we should try our best to keep master branch stable, anything that needs to merge to master should be fully tested. But master branch doesn't guarantee to be 100% stable until git tag and releasing, we can document this. And pioneers who wanna try latest "stable " code can install from github master branch, they can also provide us feedbacks so that we could address before officially releasing.

For documentation, readthedoc also provides different tags, like stable/latest. We can map that to our corresponding branches.

Richard Kuesters

Sep 15, 2018, 6:45:43 PM9/15/18
to yunx...@gmail.com, sani...@googlegroups.com
That sounds good to me :-)

On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 3:34 PM Andy Xu <yunx...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey, I agree in general, we should try our best to keep master branch stable, anything that needs to merge to master should be fully tested. But master branch doesn't guarantee to be 100% stable until git tag and releasing, we can document this. And pioneers who wanna try latest "stable " code can install from github master branch, they can also provide us feedbacks so that we could address before officially releasing.

For documentation, readthedoc also provides different tags, like stable/latest. We can map that to our corresponding branches.

Henrik Sommerland

Sep 24, 2018, 10:41:18 AM9/24/18
to Richard Kuesters, yunx...@gmail.com, sani...@googlegroups.com
I concur with Andy. I don't think the master branch and the latest released version should necessarily be the same.

Henrik "TheGrandmother" Sommerland

Richard Kuesters

Sep 25, 2018, 9:41:12 AM9/25/18
to Henrik Sommerland, Andy Xu, sani...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, they don't have to. It was just an example based on some practices already known and not necessarily "the plan" :-)