Websockets 6.0 breaking change

Stephen Sadowski

Oct 4, 2018, 7:40:03 PM10/4/18
to Sanic Task Force
Cross-posted from discourse and github

Hi everyone (as you join) - I am merging the Websockets 6.0 change to master. This is a known breaking change but it needs to be done, and honestly the pain is what it is. After this, I will be merging master to the 18.12 LTS release branch and continue doing merges for fixes periodically through 12/22. On 12/22 I'd like us to be able to push something that we consider stable, supportable, and curated to PyPI.

This also introduces a bit of a new methodology: support for 2 branches. 18.12 LTS will continue for one year, through December 2019. At that point, we will need to pay attention to issues related to which version someone is using and we should (in my opinion) be prioritizing bug and security fixes for 18.12 LTS, while master and the 19.X releases are stable, but prone to change.

In the mean time, I'm doing my best to curate issues and PRs, but I could really use help with reviews. I'm a fair-to-middling developer, and I'm okay with adding my approval, but I'd rather leave that to folks with skills superior to mine to review the code changes so that I am available to complete the merge. In my mind, it's an unspoken rule that a PR submitter does not complete a merge and a reviewer does not complete a merge, for both form's sake and to have a separation of vested interests.

-S

Adam Hopkins

Oct 4, 2018, 7:48:40 PM10/4/18
to Stephen Sadowski, Sanic Task Force