Sandstorm, Tempest, and the Future

Jacob Weisz

Oct 23, 2023, 2:10:02 PM10/23/23
to sandst...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

A few of us have been working on a bit of a project update, and we are sharing it today:

https://sandstorm.org/news/2023-10-23-sandstorm-tempest-and-the-future

--
Jacob Weisz
goo...@jacobweisz.com

wwah...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2023, 10:09:11 PM10/23/23
to Sandstorm Development
Hey all, I'm eager to contribute to Sandstorm/Tempest if possible. Not a Go dev (mostly Ruby in my daily life) but if there's something I can do, please let me know.

Eric

Jacob Weisz

Oct 23, 2023, 10:21:54 PM10/23/23
to sandst...@googlegroups.com
I strongly believe the platform lives and dies on it's app support, which is why I am pushing heavily to both write new apps and package existing apps for Sandstorm. There are probably a few Ruby-based web apps that would be really cool to integrate with Sandstorm.

For instance, I know Huginn https://github.com/huginn/huginn was an early and often requested app, and I sort of wonder if now that Ian's powerbox-http-proxy tool exists, it would be easier to package a tool like that in Sandstorm.

--
  Jacob Weisz

mike.sw...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2023, 3:01:42 PM10/29/23
to Sandstorm Development
I'm a long time user and fan of Sandstorm.  I've wanted to contribute for years now, but I was too busy with my kids.  The youngest are teens, so I'm going to try to help out.

What are the next steps?  I'm a novice with Go but this is a great excuse for me to learn the language.

-Mike

Jacob Weisz

Oct 29, 2023, 5:40:31 PM10/29/23
to sandst...@googlegroups.com
I would if you want to contribute to Tempest, first to try to build it, using Troy's fork here: https://github.com/troyjfarrell/tempest

Troy has been updating the roadmap a bit here: https://github.com/troyjfarrell/tempest/blob/main/doc/roadmap.md but a lot of the core features should look fairly similar to Sandstorm, so if you have a good feel for what Sandstorm is and where Tempest is at, you might start to get an idea where you can build on. Since Tempest is still at a fairly early stage, there's probably a fair number of areas work needs to be done that isn't particularly difficult, but you will probably want to get familiar with how Ian laid out the project.

--
  Jacob Weisz

mike.sw...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2023, 9:53:19 PM10/29/23
to Sandstorm Development
I had compilation errors with tinygo 0.29 and had to use tinygo 0.30, but after everything built find.

I ran it without importing anything from my Sandstorm install, and it loaded the Etherpad app package but gave an error when I tried to create a grain.  I'll dig into it.

-Mike

Jacob Weisz

Oct 29, 2023, 10:30:33 PM10/29/23
to sandst...@googlegroups.com
Does it work for you on other apps like maybe Sandcal or Ethercalc? There is an issue I recall Etherpad has with the current sandbox model (especially if you use Firefox) so I'm not 100% sure if that might be specific to Etherpad that you hit.

--
  Jacob Weisz

Troy Farrell

Oct 30, 2023, 2:50:30 AM10/30/23
to Sandstorm Development
Those are indeed the correct next steps.  I have been distracted trying to figure out what it looks like to replace the current edition of Sandcats, so I've been away from the Tempest codebase for a few weeks.  I recall also seeing a similar error when trying to create a new grain.  I'm trying to decide whether I makes more sense to start with existing Sandstorm data or start by debugging a Hello World app.