New app package: WBO

Jake W

Oct 20, 2023, 11:54:15 PM10/20/23
to Sandstorm Development
This is sort of a quick and simple one, I still need to add some metadata, so sample art is much welcomed! WBO is a fairly simple whiteboard app, not too different than the old EtherDraw package I have from 7+ years prior. A friend spun up their own WBO install somewhere, and I figured I could get a fairly quick Sandstorm package together for it too.

Sample grain to make art with which may end up in screenshots: https://ocdhost.sandcats.io/shared/zNteukuCQGR2lL3sSdRkGpUr9V8IHHuToqQc6yKfSaP

Dan Krol

Oct 22, 2023, 7:11:20 PM10/22/23
to Jake W, Sandstorm Development
Very easy to understand, very simple. Works as expected. Very responsive between different devices. Seems like an obvious use case for Sandstorm.

I figured out it was vector based when I tried deleting.

One issue I see is when trying to pinch zoom. On my Android-like phone, zooming out works, but zooming in starts to make the whole UI zoom. Zooming either direction on iPad is worse.

It's also awkward when you're really zoomed out and you want to drag it to the center. I guess you can't do it, it wants to keep the top-left of the drawing data at the top-left of your window.

Not blockers, I think you can work around those.

But one thing that does seem to be altogether broken is the Download button. It doesn't do anything.

Jacob Weisz

Oct 22, 2023, 8:33:50 PM10/22/23
to Dan Krol, Jake Weisz, sandst...@googlegroups.com
So the download issue is more of a platform issue, that affects probably a half dozen other apps at least: https://github.com/sandstorm-io/sandstorm/issues/2602 If you open the frame in a new tab it works fine.

--
  Jacob Weisz

Dan Krol

Oct 23, 2023, 9:58:35 AM10/23/23
to Jacob Weisz, Jake Weisz, sandst...@googlegroups.com
So it's specifically for "blob"s? I bet one could edit the app to make it work differently. Or maybe even make a general proxy that translates blobs into normal downloads? I know it's possible to make downloads work in general within sandstorm apps, I've done it.

In any case, I'd say ideally we hide that button to make the app feel less broken, if it's easy to do (display:none somewhere)? It's not an essential part of the app. But if that's a hassle it's nbd.

Jacob Weisz

Oct 23, 2023, 11:57:08 AM10/23/23
to Dan Krol, sandst...@googlegroups.com
I would probably be open to figuring out a general way (or even a simple patch) to work around this, but I would be against hiding the functionality as it is key to let people get SVGs, PDFs, CSVs, etc. out of various Sandstorm apps. Ideally users shouldn't need to extract the contents of a grain backup to get their data out, and this is a somewhat common issue with other apps currently.

In the short term, the author of WBO has encouraged me to upstream the Sandstorm package, so I am going to work on that this week.

--
  Jacob Weisz