App Market Build question

Jay Gischer

Aug 12, 2022, 4:30:31 PM8/12/22
to Sandstorm Development
Sandstorm App Market is a meteor app that uses Meteor 1.4.something

According to Meteor documentation, this can lead to a problem with certificates (see https://docs.meteor.com/expired-certificate.html for instance).

I have a build directory on my desktop system that still works, though I don't see any sign of NODE_TLS_REJECT_UNAUTHORIZED being set to 0 a recommended above.

However, and this is why I'm posting, I'm trying to build the App Market on a Google Cloud server, and I'm getting all the errors associated with the expired certificate.

I tried setting this envariable in my remote build, and it did not help.

I'm a bit mystified, more by how it works within the local repository (which is about a year old, so that may be a factor).

Any thoughts?

Ian Denhardt

Aug 12, 2022, 4:34:39 PM8/12/22
to Jay Gischer, Sandstorm Development
I've forgotten most of the details at this point, but I recall at some
point the meteor build for Sandstorm was having problems fetching things
over HTTPS because something had changed in the way let's encrypt certs
were issued such that very old versions of openssl were unhappy with it.
I believe just updating to a newer version of meteor was the solution,
so you may have to do that to get it to build?

The specific error messages might make it easier for us to help
troubleshoot, also.

-Ian

Quoting Jay Gischer (2022-08-12 16:30:17)
> Sandstorm App Market is a meteor app that uses Meteor 1.4.something
> According to Meteor documentation, this can lead to a problem with
> certificates (see� [1]https://docs.meteor.com/expired-certificate.html
> for instance).
> I have a build directory on my desktop system that still works, though
> I don't see any sign of NODE_TLS_REJECT_UNAUTHORIZED being set to 0 a
> recommended above.
> However, and this is why I'm posting, I'm trying to build the App
> Market on a Google Cloud server, and I'm getting all the errors
> associated with the expired certificate.
> I tried setting this envariable in my remote build, and it did not
> help.
> I'm a bit mystified, more by how it works within the local repository
> (which is about a year old, so that may be a factor).
> Any thoughts?
>
> --
> [3]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sandstorm-dev/CAHCFCnP6ph02FbugjVJ
> trv8JMJek9%2B2oByEd%3D4m%2BUTNemb5Gjw%40mail.gmail.com.
>
> Verweise
>
> 1. https://docs.meteor.com/expired-certificate.html
> 2. mailto:sandstorm-de...@googlegroups.com
> 3. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sandstorm-dev/CAHCFCnP6ph02FbugjVJtrv8JMJek9%2B2oByEd%3D4m%2BUTNemb5Gjw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

Jacob Weisz

Aug 12, 2022, 4:49:08 PM8/12/22
to sandst...@googlegroups.com
I thought that the App Market would use whatever Meteor version that Sandstorm is using... because it "slipstreams" itself into the Sandstorm bundle and replaces the frontend, but it appears that it does explicitly use Meteor 1.4.1.2 in the code. (The release script also tries to grab a 0.191 build of Sandstorm from an Oasis grain (obviously no longer existent) if it doesn't find a dev build of Sandstorm present with the script...)

If you end up updating the Meteor version to make this work (I would not go any newer than the official Sandstorm version, which is Meteor 2.3.5), a PR against the app-market would be great... there's some stuff I would like to try to do with the app market someday soon*, but I haven't had time to dig into trying to run the thing.

* My someday project: https://github.com/sandstorm-io/sandstorm-app-market/issues/136#issuecomment-1212600453

--
Jacob Weisz
goo...@jacobweisz.com
> an email to sandstorm-de...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sandstorm-dev/166033651519.7952.9270154338675942356%40box.

Ian Denhardt

Aug 12, 2022, 6:08:09 PM8/12/22
to Jay Gischer, sandst...@googlegroups.com
Quoting Jay Gischer (2022-08-12 16:48:20)

> Errors are [here](https://pastebin.com/RKUwk2Yq)

Ok, yeah, no new insight, but that seems likely the issue I was
describing.

> Looking at the source on Github, app/.meteor/release says
> "[2]MET...@1.4.1.2"
> And history suggests that none of it has been updated since then.
> By the way, I'd be happy to volunteer to do that, if it proves
> necessary. The thing is, it's working on another machine, and I
> may just be missing something.

Please do! As you might have guessed, the app market isn't super well
maintained, and could really use some attention. See also:
https://github.com/sandstorm-io/sandstorm/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#the-app-market