Sandstorm for Mobile and Healthcare

Bjoern DEMEYER

Feb 26, 2024, 2:37:51 AMFeb 26
to Sandstorm Development
For the purpose of use by my employer, I'm wondering if Sandstorm would be a good platform to serve as a back end for mobile applications, particularly for healthcare. It seems like it would be easier to keep each patient's file secure. Also while I have to self-host for privacy reasons, it also seems a lot easier to host than Kubernetes, etc.

Kind Regards, BDM.

Jacob Weisz

Feb 26, 2024, 11:41:16 AMFeb 26
to sandst...@googlegroups.com
I think Sandstorm is great for healthcare! I think there's a bunch of compliance needs that you can meet with a Sandstorm server which might otherwise need multiple external tools. And for a smaller office, Sandstorm being easy to host on a single small box (I use a NUC personally) is pretty handy.

I would say Sandstorm's own web UI is not well-optimized on mobile. Many apps work fine via mobile browsers, but it isn't the best experience. But as long as you can connect a mobile application to an HTTP API, it would work very well as a backend. TinyTinyRSS is a great example: The Sandstorm app itself doesn't work well on mobile browsers, but there are dozens of great TTRSS apps that work great, and can connect to the Sandstorm app.

--
  Jacob Weisz

On Mon, Feb 26, 2024, at 12:35 AM, Bjoern DEMEYER wrote:
For the purpose of use by my employer, I'm wondering if Sandstorm would be a good platform to serve as a back end for mobile applications, particularly for healthcare. It seems like it would be easier to keep each patient's file secure. Also while I have to self-host for privacy reasons, it also seems a lot easier to host than Kubernetes, etc.

Kind Regards, BDM.

Dan Krol

Feb 26, 2024, 11:44:29 AMFeb 26
to sandst...@googlegroups.com
Wouldn't it need a specific vetting for compliance?

Jacob Weisz

Feb 26, 2024, 11:51:44 AMFeb 26
to sandst...@googlegroups.com
I am not a lawyer or a healthcare professional, but I don't believe software or services are inherently certified or vetted as HIPAA compliant, and it falls on the healthcare provider to ensure they are operating in a HIPAA-compliant manner regardless of the tools they use.

--
  Jacob Weisz