Worship Group assistance

Jerry McBride

May 12, 2022, 9:51:47 PM5/12/22
to San Mateo Quaker Worship Group
Dear Friends,

As you know, the San Mateo Quaker Worship Group has returned to in-person worship on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of each month, and we are continuing with online worship the other Sundays through the generosity of Palo Alto Friends Meeting. After two years of not meeting in person, this is a big and welcome step. Several years ago, I felt led to start a worship group in San Mateo, and several Friends stepped up to make that a reality. It was my hope that this group would grow over time and become an important spiritual community in San Mateo. The pandemic has made that more difficult, but with online meetings, the community was strengthened and held together. Unfortunately, the pandemic is still with us, but we are learning how to live with it without taking undue risks. I have taken on many of the tasks of keeping the group going, and now I would like to ask for your assistance with a few things as we make this transition.

Immediate needs
  • I will be away for three upcoming meetings: June 5, June 19, and July 3. The Farleys have graciously agreed to open and close meeting on June 5. We need someone to open the other two meetings:
    • June 19
    • July 3
  • Donations. Our expenses are small, but our rent is $100/month. It would be nice to have regular contributions to cover at least this amount. We have about 7-10 regular attendees. It would be helpful if each could contribute at least $10/month. If you can afford more, that would help with other expenses and help to cover for those who cannot contribute this amount. Please contribute as you are led.
Long-term needs
Here are a few things that could help our group. We're just a worship group, so we need to keep things simple. Please let me know if you are interested in helping with any of these tasks.
  • Website maintenance. This has not been done in a long time, and this is how most people find Quaker meetings these days.
  • Facebook maintenance and posting. This is another useful outreach tool.
  • Posting flyers periodically. The flyers are ready and can be supplied to anyone who wants them.
  • Placing announcements in the San Mateo Daily Journal calendar every month.
  • Communications with the Palo Alto Friends Meeting Newsletter Editor.
  • Other publicity ideas?
  • Helping to find a better meeting place in San Mateo. Our current location has many benefits, but there might be a quieter and more aesthetically pleasing meeting place that we can afford.
  • Treasurer to handle donations and payments.
  • Refreshments after meeting - if and when we can do this.
Please speak to me after meeting or write to me if you have thoughts, other ideas, or additional suggestions about any of this. SInce I will be away most of June, I will begin to work on some of these long-term needs when I return in July, and I hope that some people may feel led to help out in one way or another.

I feel so fortunate and blessed to be part of this group and to have come to know each of you better over these past four years. Your presence has made this a special community. Many thanks.

Peace,

Jerry McBride