Discussion 10/16 following PAFM Meeting

Jerry McBride

Oct 15, 2022, 5:44:25 PM10/15/22
to Digest Recipients, San Mateo Quaker Worship Group
Dear Friends,
Do you know much about the Bible, but would like to know more? Would you like a practical approach to knowing more about the Bible? Are you independent-minded, and prefer to form your own judgments rather than simply accept the pronouncements of traditional authority, no matter how venerable? Do you have a high tolerance for ambiguity? Do you dislike how some people use or abuse the Bible to advance their own agenda?

The book, A Respondent Spark: The Basics of Bible Study by Chuck Fager is the answer for you.

This month, we will read and discuss Chapter 1, "Getting Acquainted with the Bible," (p. 3-5) in-person and online from September through May, with the in-person component held at the Palo Alto meetinghouse.

We will meet on October 16 at noon, for about an hour. Join us in person, or . . .

Use the “Meeting for Worship” link on the PAFM home page to join online.

For a richer discussion, participants are encouraged to read the chapter before the discussion, but short summaries/prompts will be sent out before each meeting in case you're unable to do so. If you know of others who would be interested in this, please invite them, too.

All are invited to join the discussion on this current Quaker view of the Bible, a book many of us think we know, but do we really? The Bible may be the one book in our home library that was written thousands of years ago in a culture vastly different from the one in which we live. The discussion is sure to be interesting and may even change your view of the Bible.

The book may be purchased from Kimo Press (https://kimopress.org/book-list/quaker-books-non-fiction/respondent-spark/) or downloaded for free (https://afriendlyletter.com/wp-content/uploads/SPARK-2018-for-web.pdf). If you prefer a physical copy, a paperback version can be purchased on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Respondent-Spark-Basics-Bible-Study/dp/0738847828/).

For more information about the book group, contact Richmond Odufisan alesanmiodufisan[at]yahoo[dot]com